Question PSU Gigabyte P550B

adyyy7

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
Hi!
Any info about this model is welcome :)
Is it good platform and components? Where is it made?
Many thanks !

adyyy7

Prominent
Aug 14, 2020
They say is made with japanese parts and taiwanese condensators.
All PSU are made in china? :) are you sure?
GIGABYTE P650B 650W 80 PLUS Bronze gp-p650b comes with 5 years guarantee which is more than many other big brands.

1foxracing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
The last Corsair power supply I purchased (RM650) was marked "Made in Vietnam"
I only purchased it until Made in Taiwan Seasonic units became available again recently.
PHNPZiv.jpg

Reactions: adyyy7

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
All PSU are made in china? :) are you sure?
I pretty sure that head of Corsair's PSU division knows his <Mod Edit>, yes.
All PSUs, at least partially are made in China, even those from nominally Taiwanese brands like Seasonic and Super Flower.
If you see 'made in non-China' on the box that's just to get around tariffs or market stuff to people who think that if PSU is made in China it's automatically a garbage or non-China PSUs are automatically better.
Gigabyte P550B and P650B are very different, former is outdated group regulated topology and Japanese capacitors don't help here, the latter however is more modern platform utilizing DC-DC conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are telling us all that Seasonic is falsely marking their packaging?
Oerb88R.jpg

It's like what @Juular said: They're doing final assembly and pack out in Taiwan to get around the 25% tariffs in the U.S.

HEC is doing the same thing.

The closest thing to not made in China I have seen is CWT stuff made in Vietnam, but it's still mostly made in China. Just less so because Vietnam borders China so the supply chain and shipping costs are much lower. Also Vietnamese labor is much lower.

It's like how the most American made cars are made in Canada. MOPARs consist mostly of American components, but they're built in Canada.

When I was in the bike business, Derby Cycles (Raleigh, HARO, Nishiki) had this scam where they would weld the front and rear triangles of a frame in Mexico. They would then ship those halves to the U.S. as "bicycle parts" and then weld the two triangles together to make one frame. This allowed them to legally call the bike frame "Made in USA".

Last edited:
Reactions: Juular

1foxracing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
^ Thanks for the lesson. I had no idea you were in the bicycle business as well. I was a big bicycle guy in the early 90's to early 2000's and owned many Cannondale's , Rocky Mountain's and Cinelii's.

^ Thanks for the lesson. I had no idea you were in the bicycle business as well. I was a big bicycle guy in the early 90's to early 2000's and owned many Cannondale's , Rocky Mountain's and Cinelii's.

Sorry to hear about the Cannonballs. ;-) Wasn't surprised when that company went into bankruptcy.

So, if you're waiting to buy a "Taiwanese Seasonic", then what you're buying is a "Senao" power supply. A company very much like Seasonic, but without any of their own engineers. Essentially a "final test and assembly" firm. And since Seaonic doesn't make their own PCBA's (they're made by one of three different SMT lines in China) you're getting something that is just "engineered by Seasonic". I personally would prefer a Made in China Seasonic. At least Seasonic does their own assembly, testing and burn in in their China factory. Oversight is a bitch. Like, you tell the factory that everything should get a two hour burn in, you come back two months later and they're only doing a 1 hour burn in. Stuff like that comes back to bite you in the butt.

It's a shame really. Seasonic was going to start production in Taiwan. Even using local SMT factories to build the PCBA. But they found it too expensive. This was, of course, before the tariff situation. When the tariff situation came around, they didn't have enough time and money to shift back to that original plan. They had to roll with something with less investment and Senao was there to pick up the ball.

Reactions: Juular