Psu going bad?

gdamarell

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
Fairly simple issue that's worrying me. My pc, every once in a while, randomly cuts out and is restarting. I can't see a pattern. It's happened well playing games and we'll browsing the Web and it's getting more frequent (although it seems to load up fine after reset and is stable again?).

I tested the cpu and gpu temperature to make sure they are OK(with an open source program) and they seem fine so my only other thought is the psu is failing.

Could it be anything else?

Specifications -
I5-6600
16gb crucial ram 2133mhz (two still of 8gb)
Gtx 1060 3gb.

If more specific specifications would help can get a list. I don't remember everything.

Solution
Get a reliable unit. For 550W, get Corsair CXM semi-modular or Seasonic fully modular ones. whichever cheaper. My money is on the PSU.

gdamarell

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
This

https://www.cclonline.com/product/205548/CIT-ATV-550W-OEM/Power-Supplies/OEM-CiT-550W-ATV-PSU-12cm-Fan-Full-Range/PSU1273/

If I recall. It was definitely some cheap equivalent.(and yes I know my fault was putting any cheap psu in but it's certified).

gdamarell

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
Just wanted confirmation. I knew it was a bad unit when I bought it and was supposed to replace it. Didn't know if my own bias was pointing the wrong way.