[SOLVED] PSU going bad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I have some thoughts on my PSU going bad but I cant say for sure how can I tell and also the 3.3v line has been going from 3,376v-3.360v is this ok? Also I am thinking about this as my pc is sometimes failing to post but I dont know what could be an issue.
other lines: 5v is on 5.0v and 12v is on 12.096v.
So could my psu be an issue?
my spec:
asus prime b250m-plus
intel core i5-6600k
gtx 1050
be quiet pure power 600watt non-modular (about 6months old)
2x 8gb g.skill aegis

Solution
REPLACE THE CMOS BUTTON CELL on the motherboard with whatever is in there (CR20xx), but stick with name brand ones (Energizer, Panasonic, Sony) with the LoNgEsT shelf life. (Expires 2026 or later).

When you say you ''turn off the extension cord'', you mean a switch on the Power/Bus Bar that you have everything plugged into?

IF SO, that is REALLY HARD on the PSU (constantly recharging bulk caps, inrush current surge...), so UNLESS you are paying something RiDiCuLoUs, like U$0.82/kWh, DON'T DO THAT!!. If you are concerned about vampire power consumption...then plug everything else (monitors, speakers, etc.) into the Power Bar and turn those off, but as for the PC itself...it shouldn't...

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Got it!

Now, when you say :

If you turn the PC back on after say, 6 hours, you don't get this POST error?

What do you mean by ''unplugged''?
a.) Main POWER @rear of PSU is switched off;
b.) You PHYSICALLY unplug your computer from the wall (if so , WHY?)

In any event...replace the CMOS button cell on the motherboard. CR2032 was the most common one...
If you turn the PC back on after say, 6 hours, you don't get this POST error?

Thats correct

And well i dont physically unplug it I just turn off the extension cord

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
REPLACE THE CMOS BUTTON CELL on the motherboard with whatever is in there (CR20xx), but stick with name brand ones (Energizer, Panasonic, Sony) with the LoNgEsT shelf life. (Expires 2026 or later).

When you say you ''turn off the extension cord'', you mean a switch on the Power/Bus Bar that you have everything plugged into?

IF SO, that is REALLY HARD on the PSU (constantly recharging bulk caps, inrush current surge...), so UNLESS you are paying something RiDiCuLoUs, like U$0.82/kWh, DON'T DO THAT!!. If you are concerned about vampire power consumption...then plug everything else (monitors, speakers, etc.) into the Power Bar and turn those off, but as for the PC itself...it shouldn't consume more than a couple of watts in standby, so plug it into the wall, separately. Just for reference, my PCs consume 0.5W in standby (Yes, I have the equipment to monitor this), and I have several different brands, ages and efficiencies of PSUs.

IF you are concerned about any power issues (brownouts, blackouts, power surges, voltage drops, hurricanes, solar flares, nuclear EMP), then go get another (quality) Power Bar/Surge Suppressor, or install a ''whole house'' surge suppressor at the panel.

And, in case I missed it, this is a review for your PSU :

Solution

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

IF SO, that is REALLY HARD on the PSU (constantly recharging bulk caps, inrush current surge...), so UNLESS you are paying something RiDiCuLoUs, like U$0.82/kWh, DON'T DO THAT!!. If you are concerned about vampire power consumption...then plug everything else (monitors, speakers, etc.) into the Power Bar and turn those off, but as for the PC itself...it shouldn't consume more than a couple of watts in standby, so plug it into the wall, separately. Just for reference, my PCs consume 0.5W in standby (Yes, I have the equipment to monitor this), and I have several different brands, ages and efficiencies of PSUs.

IF you are concerned about any power issues (brownouts, blackouts, power surges, voltage drops, hurricanes, solar flares, nuclear EMP), then go get another (quality) Power Bar/Surge Suppressor, or install a ''whole house'' surge suppressor at the panel.

And, in case I missed it, this is a review for your PSU :

I have a surge protection power bar and also when the pc is plugged into a wall motherboard flashes red (which is kinda annoying) and also im not comfortable leaving pc plugged in all the time especially when im sleeping or not at home and also I dont use it everyday as I dont have alot of time for gaming

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
When you say ''motherboard flashes red" are you talking :
a.) ONE(1) FLASHING LED on the motherboard;
b.) the ASUS Pulsing Logos and ''mood lighting'' on the motherboard?
The former shouldn't be bothersome, the latter can be turned off in the Bios.

As for the ''leaving the PC plugged in all the time''... do you ''unplug'' or cut power to your HDTV/Audio/Video equipment? Your Range, fridge and/or microwave? Your furnace or hot water tank (if electric)? Your clock radio/bluetooth/Smart Phone Dock?

Then all I am saying is :
  • Since the ''motherboard mood lighting annoys you'', go into the Bios and turn it off.
  • If you are worried about power surges, lightning, etc., buy another power bar, so you can leave the PC live.
  • If you are afraid of your PC starting a fire...DON'T!! It is at no more risk of starting a fire than any of the other, everyday household electronics listed above!! If you are ''going away'' on a vacation for weeks, then sure, cut power...but cutting the AC power to the PSU daily, IS NOT GOOD!!
  • If you are afraid of the dark, buy a photo-controlled night light! :-D

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

As for the ''leaving the PC plugged in all the time''... do you ''unplug'' or cut power to your HDTV/Audio/Video equipment? Your Range, fridge and/or microwave? Your furnace or hot water tank (if electric)? Your clock radio/bluetooth/Smart Phone Dock?

• Since the ''motherboard mood lighting annoys you'', go into the Bios and turn it off.
  • If you are worried about power surges, lightning, etc., buy another power bar, so you can leave the PC live.
  • If you are afraid of your PC starting a fire...DON'T!! It is at no more risk of starting a fire than any of the other, everyday household electronics listed above!! If you are ''going away'' on a vacation for weeks, then sure, cut power...but cutting the AC power to the PSU daily, IS NOT GOOD!!
Ok thanks haha ill turn off that red lighting on my mobo and manually turn off my monitor by a button on it so its not gonna look like its not on all the time

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

And also one more question ive been measuring the amount of volts in my wall socket and it is all the time moving from 228-246 sometimes even 248v is that okay for my psu or not (my psu is rated for 100-240Vac)