brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
I have an i7-9700k and I want to upgrade the graphics to a 3080.
  • i7-9700k
  • RTX 3080
  • 32gb DDR4 2400mhz OC to 3200mhz
  • MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
  • NVMe M.2 970 Evo 1tb
The psu in question is the Corsair CX650M. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
  • i7-9700k
  • RTX 3080
  • NVMe M.2 970 Evo 1tb
The TDP of the RTX 3080 is 320W alone so combined with an a 9700k a 650W PSU is a bare minimum.
It would not allow for future expansion nor have Overclocking ability.

Being a bronze rated unit the Corsair CX650M is inadequate for your system. Don't go cheap and get a gold rated unit.
I would recommend the Seasonic Focus 750W gold certified unit.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
If the CPU is overclocked: no
If it's running at stock: maybe
Your power consumption is something like this:
CPU: 130-200W
GPU: 320W
Others: ~100W
That'd make the full power draw of you're system around 500W (if not overclocked) and around 600W if overclocked. And it's best to choose a PSU rated 100-150W more than your requirements.
If you haven't overclocked, you can try running the 3080. If it works fine, go with it. And if it doesn't, change the PSU.
And if you've overclocked, getting a better PSU should be considered.

Nvidia recommends 750W or more. For peace of mind, I'd get a 750W PSU. Or I'd feel like some components aren't getting enough power. :(

Summary: Keep in mind that you might have to buy a new PSU. So keep it's cost also under consideration.

• i7-9700k
  • RTX 3080
  • NVMe M.2 970 Evo 1tb
The TDP of the RTX 3080 is 320W alone so combined with an a 9700k a 650W PSU is a bare minimum.

Being a bronze rated unit the Corsair CX650M is inadequate for your system. Don't go cheap and get a gold rated unit.

Solution

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
If the CPU is overclocked: no
If it's running at stock: maybe
Your power consumption is something like this:
CPU: 130-200W
GPU: 320W
Others: ~100W
That'd make the full power draw of you're system around 550+W (if not overclocked) and around 650W if overclocked. And it's best to choose a PSU rated 100-150W more than your requirements.
If you haven't overclocked, you can try running the 3080. If it works fine, go with it. And if it doesn't, change the PSU.
And if you've overclocked, getting a better PSU should be considered.

Nvidia recommends 750W or more.

Summary: Keep in mind that you might have to buy a new PSU. So keep it's cost also under consideration.
The CPU is stock. I think that 750w rating is for the 3080 with an i9 10900k, at least that is what someone else said. I am wanting to know if I should go ahead and order one since power supplies are taking forever to get delivered. (Took 4 weeks for one I ordered 3 months ago for a friend's build).

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018

Alright. Thanks for letting me know!

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
The CPU is stock. I think that 750w rating is for the 3080 with an i9 10900k, at least that is what someone else said. I am wanting to know if I should go ahead and order one since power supplies are taking forever to get delivered. (Took 4 weeks for one I ordered 3 months ago for a friend's build).
That's why I said, if you haven't overclocked, try running it. It might work.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
An 80+bronze rated unit will have some inferior components compared to a gold rated unit.
Efficiency is the product of quality, not the other way around. Not all 80+ Gold units would be better than all 80+ Bronze ones. You can make an efficient PSU with trash components not meant to last for too long but still pass 80+ certification because they don't care for anything but efficiency at two test points and even then, they don't even test all units they recieve, if you tell them 'hey, this unit is the same thing inside as that one', they'll be more than happy to just take your money and stick the badge.

Efficiency is the product of quality, not the other way around. Not all 80+ Gold units would be better than all 80+ Bronze ones. You can make an efficient PSU with trash components not meant to last for too long but still pass 80+ certification because they don't care for anything but efficiency at two test points and even then, they don't even test all units they recieve, if you tell them 'hey, this unit is the same thing inside as that one', they'll be more than happy to just take your money and stick the badge.
There is no difference of opinion here and your comments are just meant to express your knowledge on the subject for whatever reason. We all have opinions and both are correct. Mine is based on my PSU fact sheet and I have never gone wrong relying on the information it contains.

Efficiency and quality go hand in hand.

Not really. There are far more examples of units with decent to good efficiency ratings that are crap or simply mediocre, than there are ones that aren't. Efficiency really doesn't mean much of anything, at all, unless you already know that the underlying platform is good based on review data. Without that, the rating is meaningless. If you have the review data, the efficiency rating merely is an extra gold star next to it's name. Alone it is not even qualified to be a metric used for determining quality.

It's not. The 750w recommendation is for an RTX 3080 when used with any not-overclocked i7/Ryzen 7 or lower tiered CPU. If you have an i9/Ryzen 9 or HEDT family CPU, or are overclocking ANYTHING in the system, then the recommendation goes up to 850w as a matter of course.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-rtx-3000-power-supply-requirements-PSU-shortage-2020

Ah, Darkbreeze my friend. I was expecting your thesis hours ago. Knowing you will always have the last say I too am out of here. Aren't we all pundits with opinions on the subject.

Quote/ Efficiency really doesn't mean much of anything. End quote/

WOW!!

Last edited by a moderator: