PSU good for this GPU?

ofcdan

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Solution
More specifically, the 960 requires 400w, 20a, but that is for total system usage, not just the GPU.

Check the sticker on your PSU, if it shows only one +12v output and is 20a or more, you're OK. If it has more than one +12v output, post the brand and model and I'll check to see if I can find the combined 12v amps.

On PSUs though, go by amperage, not wattage. It's silly that wattage is still listed for recommendation because it's usually done conservatively to account for PSUs with low amperage.

PSUs with the same wattage can vary greatly in amperage.

chadbry

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
the cards power consumption is 120 watts. if nothing is overclocked in your system you can probably run it if you have a GOOD brand name psu. if its not a reputable psu manufacturer then buy a lower power card

More specifically, the 960 requires 400w, 20a, but that is for total system usage, not just the GPU.

Check the sticker on your PSU, if it shows only one +12v output and is 20a or more, you're OK. If it has more than one +12v output, post the brand and model and I'll check to see if I can find the combined 12v amps.

On PSUs though, go by amperage, not wattage. It's silly that wattage is still listed for recommendation because it's usually done conservatively to account for PSUs with low amperage.

PSUs with the same wattage can vary greatly in amperage.

Solution