[SOLVED] psu-graphics card adaptor

themourqsreks

Proper
Jan 5, 2019
just got my xfx radeon rx 580, which has a 8-pin power port, and comes with a 2 6-pin to 8-pin adaptor. Although my psu cable has a simple 6-pin. Is there any problem if I connect the 6 pin psu to the one port out of the 2 6-pin to 8-pin adaptor and after that, connect it all to the card? thanks!

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
https://www.cclonline.com/product/179317/A-850BR/Power-Supplies/Ace-850w-Black-PSU-12cm-Red-Fan-PFC/PSU0833/
Description states ^ 1 - 6 pin and if that is your power supply it's very very poor quality and I wouldn't run any card with it.

Key Features:

3x Molex Connectors
4x SATA Connectors
1x PCIe Connectors (6-Pin)
4-Pin CPU Power Connector
ATX Form Factor

themourqsreks

Proper
Jan 5, 2019
Profoundly blackbird is on sth else. This PSU has:
20/24 pin motherboard connector
6/8 pin PCI express connector
8pin+12V motherboard connector
4pin+12V motherboard connector
2x 4pin molex connector
4pin floppy connector
4x Sata connector

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's a junk PSU either way. I personally have this weird fetish about not frying my expensive components, but your mileage may vary.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

I said If this is your PSU , I DIDN'T SAY FOR SURE as some models have similar descriptions.
But if it's an 850w with 1 PCIE cable , it's not worthy to run any card.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Because a power supply is a *lot* more than simply a number of watts. It's like assuming that all cars are equally dependable because they have four wheels and a door.

These are high-tech components, not extension cords. Junk-tier power supplies have a nasty habit of destroying PCs with poor voltage regulation, uncontrolled ripple, surges, poor protections, and so on. A lot of people who choose to power their new components with power supplies like these in order to save a buck start new threads later wondering why their GPU or motherboard no longer work.

It's your choice since it's your parts you may be destroying, not mine. Just like it's your decision to eat a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning or not.