Question PSU has 2 ATX power connectors while Mobo has 3

Taktine

Reputable
Dec 17, 2019
Hello,

I am planning on buying a B660 motherboard for an intel i5 - 12400F. The thing is that my PSU has only two ATX power cables, (20+4) pin and an 8 pin, but the Mobo has an extra 4 pin. As far as I understand, the extra 4 pin is going to power the CPU with the 8 pin, so If I only clock the CPU to the turbo mode (4.4ghz), do I need the extra 4 pin connector?

Thanks in advance.

4745454b

Titan
I am planning on buying a B660 motherboard for an intel i5 - 12400F.

You didn't mention a board for us to look up, so who knows. I've seen boards where the 4 or 8 pin is optional, or only required when OCing. Look up your boards manual and see what it says.

My official answer is to upgrade the PSU. Don't spend all that money on a new board and CPU, maybe even a new GPU, and reuse some old PSU. They don't last forever and depending on the age you might be due for one anyway. Use the correct tool for the job. Get a new one.

Taktine

Reputable
Dec 17, 2019
You didn't mention a board for us to look up, so who knows. I've seen boards where the 4 or 8 pin is optional, or only required when OCing. Look up your boards manual and see what it says.

My official answer is to upgrade the PSU. Don't spend all that money on a new board and CPU, maybe even a new GPU, and reuse some old PSU. They don't last forever and depending on the age you might be due for one anyway. Use the correct tool for the job. Get a new one.

Oh yeah sorry, I'm planning to buy the Asus TUF Gaming B660M-Plus D4 mATX.

The extra 4 pin connector is to add extra power for such things as strong graphics cards or a cpu like the 12900k.
Download the motherboard manual and look at the instructions.
I bet it will say something along the lines that filling the plug is optional for your situation.
While your psu is not highly regarded, your power needs are modest and you could use it.
The cpu is capable of driving a much stronger graphics card so if you have those plans for the future, look to upgrading to a stronger and higher quality psu.

Taktine

Reputable
Dec 17, 2019
The extra 4 pin connector is to add extra power for such things as strong graphics cards or a cpu like the 12900k.
Download the motherboard manual and look at the instructions.
I bet it will say something along the lines that filling the plug is optional for your situation.
While your psu is not highly regarded, your power needs are modest and you could use it.
The cpu is capable of driving a much stronger graphics card so if you have those plans for the future, look to upgrading to a stronger and higher quality psu.
thanks!