[SOLVED] Psu heat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hi so I've a psu that doesn't have an efficiency rating, and its 650w and has multiple protections except OTP, btw I'm going to put it in low end system i3 9100f and a gt 1030, should I be concerned about heat ?

Solution
the Corsair's CX has 2 variants - great wall (GW) and CWT ; the reviews made me prefer CWT and tbh it's pretty quiet even on 85-95% load. I don't feel like the fan 'd fail easily.
How better can be EVGA bq's bearing than the rifle's one of Corsair? I don't think it's FDB.

really? interesting. What makes them better than Corsair CX's ones?
I meant quality of fan, but yeah it's good anyway, Rifle bearing in Great Wall and Hydrodynamic in CWT, but EVGA650BQ has Teflon nano bearing , that's only about it
so EVGA have NCC and Teapo when CX have NCC/Rubycon and ... Elite ... I dont really trust them, even if it's good series of capacitors, Elite is Elite
Maybe but why ? can you explain please ? i want to know the difference between them.

The 430, 500, and 600 watt model of the CXv3 / M models (the one with the Green logo) are DSA-III based unit from CWT. They are based on an old group regulated design. The 750w and 850w models are CWT PUQ-B which utilized DC-DC for the minor rails which will yield better voltage stability than the lower wattage counterpart. All of which are warrant for 3 years and are rated for 30C.

The new gray labeled 450, 550, 650 models are a custom design from CWT (essentially a cost down version of the RM 450-650) are DC-DC regulated, 40C rated, black cables, and a 5 year warranty. The 750 and 850 is still based on the same platform before but has a higher rated bridge rectifier along with all of the changes mentioned with the lower wattage models

Green = old and crappy.
Gray = a lot better than the green.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
The 430, 500, and 600 watt model of the CXv3 / M models (the one with the Green logo) are DSA-III based unit from CWT. They are based on an old group regulated design. The 750w and 850w models are CWT PUQ-B which utilized DC-DC for the minor rails which will yield better voltage stability than the lower wattage counterpart. All of which are warrant for 3 years and are rated for 30C.

The new gray labeled 450, 550, 650 models are a custom design from CWT (essentially a cost down version of the RM 450-650) are DC-DC regulated, 40C rated, black cables, and a 5 year warranty. The 750 and 850 is still based on the same platform before but has a higher rated bridge rectifier along with all of the changes mentioned with the lower wattage models
Thank you, can i know the difference between CORSAIR psu and the EVGA one too ?

I have Corsair 450 CX gray, pretty happy with it. Was cheaper than EVGA's equivalents when I took it;

puts Corsair CX Gray in tier B, while EVGA's bq is in tier C;

When searching for review, I didn't see anything more optimistic for the EVGA 's bq than for Corsair CX (Gray)

Green = old and crappy.
Gray = a lot better than the green.
Yes.

Last edited:
the Corsair's CX has 2 variants - great wall (GW) and CWT ; the reviews made me prefer CWT and tbh it's pretty quiet even on 85-95% load. I don't feel like the fan 'd fail easily.
How better can be EVGA bq's bearing than the rifle's one of Corsair? I don't think it's FDB.

capacitors

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018

I meant quality of fan, but yeah it's good anyway, Rifle bearing in Great Wall and Hydrodynamic in CWT, but EVGA650BQ has Teflon nano bearing , that's only about it
so EVGA have NCC and Teapo when CX have NCC/Rubycon and ... Elite ... I dont really trust them, even if it's good series of capacitors, Elite is Elite

Reactions: JasonNs_
Solution

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020

Thank you Jade for explaining and answering my question, have a good day.

Reactions: JadeHarley

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Can i know how yall know which AMAZING psu or TERRIBLE ? since im confused because everyone says different ? i just check the website specs like protections etc ...
2nd question when you say its terrible or low quality, do you mean it will blow up ? or fail ?
You should look for a professional and independent review from a reliable source, like: Tom's Hardware, Jonny Guru and TechPowerUP.

There are some variables that make a power supply bad, like: poor ripple suppression, cheap components, poor voltage regulation, lack of protections, bad efficiency and so on.

Take a look at these articles:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

Reactions: JasonNs_

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That 650w Mercury says it's SLI ready. Ok, it comes with a single 6pin pcie and a single 6+2pin pcie. Same as my 520w Seasonic.

When was the last time you saw a gpu that only required a single 6pin that was SLI capable? 10 years ago maybe?

120w max on 5v+ and 3.3v combined? That's 10A. 10 years ago most psus were 30A (ish) each for the minor rails, some psus were closer to 50A each.

650w that's only capable of powering a 150+75w card. Where's the other 425w?

Got to look at the whole picture, do things add up, balance out. A good 650w psu will have 2x 6pin and 2x 6+2pin and honestly be sli capable. It's more than just the lack of OTP or 80+ rating that raises Red Flags. And that goes for any psu choice.

Lamborghini makes some of the world's nicest SuperCars. They also made farm tractors. Don't rely on a Brand name to tell the whole story without looking into what's really going on.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
That 650w Mercury says it's SLI ready. Ok, it comes with a single 6pin pcie and a single 6+2pin pcie. Same as my 520w Seasonic.

When was the last time you saw a gpu that only required a single 6pin that was SLI capable? 10 years ago maybe?

120w max on 5v+ and 3.3v combined? That's 10A. 10 years ago most psus were 30A (ish) each for the minor rails, some psus were closer to 50A each.

650w that's only capable of powering a 150+75w card. Where's the other 425w?

Got to look at the whole picture, do things add up, balance out. A good 650w psu will have 2x 6pin and 2x 6+2pin and honestly be sli capable. It's more than just the lack of OTP or 80+ rating that raises Red Flags. And that goes for any psu choice.

Lamborghini makes some of the world's nicest SuperCars. They also made farm tractors. Don't rely on a Brand name to tell the whole story without looking into what's really going on.
You are right, but the GT 1030 is 30 watts which doesnt even require 6 pin connecter which i think will be ok for short term, and its a temporary solution.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You are right, but the GT 1030 is 30 watts which doesnt even require 6 pin connecter which i think will be ok for short term, and its a temporary solution.

It's a temporary solution in the same way that putting masking tape over the "check oil" light in your car is a temporary solution. Things like the EVGA BQ are mediocre, but essentially safe. What you have right now is dangerous garbage and it's dangerous anytime it's connect to your home's power and components you want to not be dead.

what about this one ? i found it in tier C in PSU tier list
https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=203

It's actually not that bad... Andyson platform (looks identical to the Andyson M5+), DC-DC for the 3.3V & 5V rails in the 550W and 650W models. Avoid the Cerberus S450 (450W) as it looks to be group regulated (judging by the label) and much worse than the higher capacity models.

So, the 550W and 650W are the ones passable and somewhat worth buying... Here's a review in Vietnamese (translate it to English):

https://www.f14lab.com/2018/09/review-xigmatek-cerberus-s550550w.html

Voltage regulation could be better though... still compared to the others listed these are miles better.

Last edited:

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
It's actually not that bad... Andyson platform, DC-DC for the 3.3V & 5V rails in the 550W and 650W models. Avoid the Cerberus S450 (450W) as it looks to be group regulated (judging by the label) and much worse than the higher capacity models.

So, the 550W and 650W are the ones passable and somewhat worth buying... Here's a review in Vietnamese (translate it to English):

https://www.f14lab.com/2018/09/review-xigmatek-cerberus-s550550w.html

Voltage regulation could be better though... still compared to the others listed these are miles better.
i guess buying the EVGA 550 BQ will be the best solution since i found one in used market.

Woah, yall really confusing me atm lol.

If EVGA puts its name on the PSU that doesn't instantly mean it's better... they have some really horrible quality units in their line-up too (EVGA N1 for example... completely garbage).
The BQ has DC-DC for 3.3V & 5V as well... similar to the Xigmatek.
Platform used for the PSU is not made by EVGA or Xigmatek... for the EVGA BQ HEC is the OEM, while the Xigmatek Cerberus S550 and S650 have Andyson as the OEM.

It's the wrong way to choose based on name brand only... seeing the actual internals, voltage stability, ripple suppression, etc. is far more important and valuable.

With that said, I'd put them on the same level in terms of quality... EVGA has the better fan I guess.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
If EVGA puts its name on the PSU that doesn't instantly mean it's better... they have some really horrible quality units in their line-up too (EVGA N1 for example... completely garbage).
The BQ has DC-DC for 3.3V & 5V as well... similar to the Xigmatek.
Platform used for the PSU is not made by EVGA or Xigmatek... for the EVGA BQ HEC is the OEM, while the Xigmatek Cerberus S550 and S650 have Andyson as the OEM.

It's the wrong way to choose based on name brand only... seeing the actual internals, voltage stability, ripple suppression, etc. is far more important and valuable.

With that said, I'd put them on the same level in terms of quality... EVGA has the better fan I guess.
You got a point but, you understand what i mean like, no one made a review or a big youtuber reviewed it, and its not that popular, so i guess ill go with Xigmatek one cuz its new.

TRENDING THREADS