PSU heats up when gaming

Solution
The 620 can easily handle a 270x and 4770. So. It looks like a matter of airflow. Where is the psu fan, is it on the bottom of the psu or the top. You say an older thermaltake case, is the psu at the top rear on the bottom. The 270x can put out a decent amount of heat. If the psu is top mounted, it'll act as an exhaust for the case heat, common problem with that design. If the psu is bottom mounted, does the psu fan face the interior of the case or the floor. Some cases almost make you face the psu fan down, and some have the psu actually lifted off the floor but no outside air. Most newer designs have the psu fan facing down, and draw air through a dust filter that either pulls out the back or is removable from underneath the psu/case...

KeioticGamer

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

I have a 270x devil edition for my gpu, an i7 4770 for my cpu, a 4x2gb gskill for my ram and I use a b85m gamer for my mobo. For my case I'm using an old thermaltake case 2-3 years back.

There's no visible dust when I open the case but there might be some under the steel panel where the mobo is installed. I use a generic stock cooler for my processor and I use generic fans for my motherboard also.

The processor isn't heating up though i've monitored the temps in CPUID HWMonitor and only the GPU and PSU are heating up. This is supported by just touching the top part of the case and the part where the GPU is installed and this is just only for 20 minutes of game time. I'm just scared for my Seasonic PSU if its defective cause I just got it last week.

KeioticGamer

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I'm scared the PSU will get too hot and explode or something cause the PC wont shut down by itself since the CPU isnt heating up. There's no problem when the PC is in idle though if I leave it on for 5 hours the temps is still the same so I'm guessing the airflow in the case sucks and also i've got to replace my fans and I plan to do that I just got to make sure nothings defective or anything.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 620 can easily handle a 270x and 4770. So. It looks like a matter of airflow. Where is the psu fan, is it on the bottom of the psu or the top. You say an older thermaltake case, is the psu at the top rear on the bottom. The 270x can put out a decent amount of heat. If the psu is top mounted, it'll act as an exhaust for the case heat, common problem with that design. If the psu is bottom mounted, does the psu fan face the interior of the case or the floor. Some cases almost make you face the psu fan down, and some have the psu actually lifted off the floor but no outside air. Most newer designs have the psu fan facing down, and draw air through a dust filter that either pulls out the back or is removable from underneath the psu/case. If that filter is clogged, you'll see normal temps at idle but extreme temps under load as there simply isn't enough airflow to cool the psu.

Solution

Keiotic

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I now see my mistake. I installed the PSU backwards on top of my case so the airflow is restricted by the case. Thank you good sir for pointing that out. I'll re-install it in the right place then I will monitor the temps then I will get back to you guys. Thanks again

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Since it's 's top mounted psu, you'll need the fan to face downward towards the cpu cooler. The fan itself blows air into the psu and out the back, acting like an exhaust fan that's basically 90° to the back of the case. Not exactly the best design for a rig with a good sized gpu, but oh well.

KeioticGamer

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Yeah :D

So I really did install it the wrong way around. The problem is fixed though the PSU/top part of the case isn't heating up anymore. My bad this was my first time installing a PSU I used to use the stock PSU that's already mounted lol.

KeioticGamer

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Yup I re-installed it. The right way this time lol and the problem is fixed. Thanks again :D

The Seasonic logo is right-side-up now though, I'm assuming it's the cases fault. Really got to get a new one preferably with a clear side panel so I can see my rig and maybe put up some LEDs