[SOLVED] PSU help for i5 3rd gen cpus(i5 3570)

vashisthneeraj06

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
hello,
i'm upgrading my older rig with i5 3570 processor i already have gigabyte h61m-s1 motherboard, gt 1030 and 120gb sata ssd 8 gb ddr3 i had pentium g2020 and i have generic psu intex classic 450 ( View: https://imgur.com/SP0mhon
(sorry for the orientation )).
so my main concern is, this psu safe enough to run i5 3570 as it has 20w higher tdp than g2020. im really tight on budget cant afford a new good psu.
thanks in advance

Solution
PSU calculators are often not providing an accurate representation of what the hardware actually needs, but rather figuring in some amount of overhead in their suggestion, and in many cases they round up to the next common PSU capacity.

The Newegg one doesn't seem to overestimate too much, but I just entered the hardware you listed and it only came up as 180 watts. PCPartPicker similarly suggested 186 watts. Maybe if you have other drives that you didn't list or something, that could potentially get around 200 watts, but even that's assuming these components are all under full load at the same time, which generally won't be the case.

That Intex PSU doesn't look like a particularly good model by any means, but I suspect it would be...

vashisthneeraj06

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Exactly what it says. Do not exceed 200w continous output. You can peak out for short periods above that but it's best to stay below.

There is no way your system will use 201w.
40w motherbd
80w processor
30w gt1030
5w ssd
Newegg and other Psu calculators are telling a different story like they all are different estimations and above 200w what should i do?

PSU calculators are often not providing an accurate representation of what the hardware actually needs, but rather figuring in some amount of overhead in their suggestion, and in many cases they round up to the next common PSU capacity.

The Newegg one doesn't seem to overestimate too much, but I just entered the hardware you listed and it only came up as 180 watts. PCPartPicker similarly suggested 186 watts. Maybe if you have other drives that you didn't list or something, that could potentially get around 200 watts, but even that's assuming these components are all under full load at the same time, which generally won't be the case.

That Intex PSU doesn't look like a particularly good model by any means, but I suspect it would be able to handle this level of hardware if you don't have anything better.

Solution