[SOLVED] PSU Help needed -- second guessing myself.

Oct 18, 2020
Hi guys. First time builder. I've watched plenty of videos and I'm fairly confident on building my first PC. I've got my dad who builds these for a living but would like to do this one 100% myself for the accomplishment and self achievement. Saved up, would like to fully commit and put myself up there on people who can say they've built their own rig.

That said, I'm just second guessing myself with my PSU and would like a little assistance if you wouldn't mind. Ran my components through a calculator and apparently I'm getting Recommended PSU Wattage of 653W. This is where I'm second guessing myself and think I've done it wrong somehow. Looking at the specification sheet for my GPU the recommended PSU is 750w however I want to future proof my rig. I was looking at the Corsair AX850 or the Corsair HX1000i.

I know I can always go for the higher PSU however, if I don't really need it, there's no real reason to draw more power from the wall. All help is greatly appreciated. Also I will be overclocking both the GPU and CPU.

Any PSU recommendations are very much welcome.

Regards,
Anacrous.

Last edited:
Solution
The PSU will only draw "wall power" based on what wattage your build demands from the PSU.

Problems occur when the PSU is unable to provide the necessary power based on its wattage rating.

For example if the PSU is 500 watts and the build requires 600 watts....

Overall, it can get a bit confusing and some of that is due to marketing hype and the use of ideal circumstances to establish either wattage capabilities (PSUs) or wattage demands (components - especially GPUs).

Recommended reading:

https://www.lifewire.com/computer-power-supply-wattage-832368

You can easily find other similar links by googling some particular question or topic of concern with respect to PSU requirements.

Going "high" 653 watts to 750 watts would be...

Ralston18

Titan
The PSU will only draw "wall power" based on what wattage your build demands from the PSU.

Problems occur when the PSU is unable to provide the necessary power based on its wattage rating.

Overall, it can get a bit confusing and some of that is due to marketing hype and the use of ideal circumstances to establish either wattage capabilities (PSUs) or wattage demands (components - especially GPUs).

Recommended reading:

You can easily find other similar links by googling some particular question or topic of concern with respect to PSU requirements.

Going "high" 653 watts to 750 watts would be my recommendation.

Planning ahead indicates that you already have a sense of the matter. Keep going....

850 or 1000 watts would be okay and provide ample "wattage room" for additional growth when you decide to or need to upgrade components.

Keep reading and keep learning.

Solution
Oct 18, 2020

Recommended reading:

Going "high" 653 watts to 750 watts would be my recommendation.

Planning ahead indicates that you already have a sense of the matter. Keep going....

850 or 1000 watts would be okay and provide ample "wattage room" for additional growth when you decide to or need to upgrade components.

Keep reading and keep learning.

Appreciate the reply. I think I'll be going with a 1000w PSU as it's not really going to be too much in terms of drawing energy and I'll be able to use the PSU for some time which will save me money in the long term.

TRENDING THREADS