PSU Help please

yumpum

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hey, Thanks again for helping.

Recently I noticed that my computer was making more noise than it used to. Well since then I have determined it is the PSU making the noise. All my computer parts are within 5 months of purchasing, and have had to RMA both the GPU and the MOBO already..

Anyway the PSU fan is too loud. BUT It isn't when I boot up. When I start the PC its pretty much silent. However once it's into windows I can gradually hear it creep faster and faster (this is whilst loading windows/idle) until after about 10 or 15 minutes its too loud for my liking. It never used to be like this. I never noticed it. It's so loud that it is making a whistling through the back grill with all the air its moving.

The PSU is http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_500w_stealthxstream_power_supply

I have a little extra information that I think could help determine the problem:

1. I recently installed a TV Tuner, but I am sure I have enough power for my machine. The thing is, when testing it I didn't screw it in and when plugging the aerial in dislodged it whilst the PC was on. This caused windows to hang, however it starts up fine and everything seems to work. I noticed the PSU noise a few days later.

2. I had an 80mm case fan that cost 0.97p that I am sure got louder. Like really noticable. This made me think the PSU was somehow giving it too much energy, because the fan is a molex connection, nothing to do with MOBO. Is that possible?

3. I moved my pc, however on moving it back it's just as loud so I don't think it's that.

I am fairly sure it's overheating, because its starts off normally and gets too fast. Also the air coming from it is quite warm.

Things I have tried:
Cleaning it, although very little dust. Didn't open it completely (because have heard about electricity in it being harmful) but did unscrew fan cleaned as best I could and put it back.
Trying a different power socket and cable, no difference.

I have used the paperclip method to start it without anything attached to it, but to be honest I didn't give it long enough, worth retrying?

Thanks for the help...

It is the PSU unless you damaged the motherboard with your TV tuner dropping out of the slot. The fan can not keep up with it when it heats up which is one of to things it is working at max loads (could be caused by bad motherboard) or it is faulty and therefore heating up. Your loads if it is a normal desktop system with a single video (not power hungry) card should not be much more than 350 watts.