[SOLVED] PSU High Pitched Noise (Possibly Coil Noise)

Feb 4, 2019
Hello, recently I changed my work PC and now I have a problem. Sorry for my spelling mistakes, English is not my first language. And also sorry if I didn`t make the thread on the right section, I`m new here.

First my PC:
- Motherboard Gigabyte GA P55A UD3
- Processor i7 870 2.93
- GPU GTX 1050 Ti (MSI Gaming X)
- RAM 2x4GB DDR3
- PSU ThermalTake Litepower 550W (it is new, I just bought it a week ago)
- OS Windows 10 x64

I bought this PC recently from a friend and I changed the GPU (I bought the GTX but it was already used) and the PSU (a brand new one). Recently I heard a noise coming out of the PC, a high pitched noise that was kind of annoying. I checked that out and I found out it was coming from the PSU. However I made some tests:

- I put the old PSU back (Enermax Cyclops 500W) and the old GPU (GT 540) to see if the noise will be there with this configuration too. The sound was still there, maybe just a little bit slower, but it wasn`t coming from PSU anymore, but from the motherboard CPU area. I really struggled to find where was the sound coming from exactly but I couldn`t find it.
I searched for solutions to this new situation and I found something on this site:

"Could be power management issue - try this - works a treat

1. Execute: "regedit"
2 .Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b¬740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-215849¬2d58ad
3. Change Attributes from 1 to 0.
4. Then, through the control panel - power - in the settings mode select power management processor. There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears."
Link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/292915-30-high-pitched-noise-coming-area

And it worked, when I did that and hit apply the noise was gone.

- I put the new PSU and the new GPU back in the PC and the noise was back, but when I dissabled idle processor the noise was gone. However this time, with the new PSU the noise wasn`t coming from the CPU area, it was coming directly from the PSU.
If I change the power profile to High or Ultra Power the noise is back and it is worse than usual. I`ll put a link with an audio record on google drive:
Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13iz5-r4te88bUhscsvQAb5M3C8UNW92u/view?usp=drivesdk

To mention that the noise isn`t there when the PC is off or in BIOS, it starts just when the Windows boots up. But the noise is completly gone when the idle processor is disabled.

I`m honestly confused and kind of desparate, I don`t know what`s the problem. If I disable the idle processor it is staying 100% CPU load and over 60 degrees all the time. And I think it will consume more energy too. Should I just leave that thing disabled? Will it affect the Processor or others components in time?
Is the PSU faulty? The motherboard? The CPU? Should I return the PSU to the shop?

UPDATE: I disabled C1E, C3/C6 Support and CPU EIST Function from BIOS and after that I was able to enable idle processor without it making that sound. So now the noise is gone, the degrees droped a lot in idle and the CPU isn`t 100% load all the time as it would have been with idle processor disabled.

Solution
Your PSU, both old and new, are expensive paperweights. You should look into a reliably built PSU like the Seasonic M12II/S12II 520/620 watt units. Might I ask which BIOS version you're currently on?