Question PSU (I Assume) Making Loud Grinding Noise

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
I just installed some new fans in this case because I wanted some better airflow and RGB, everything was going great and then this grinding noise started happening and it sounds like my PSU, everything starts fine and then after a few minutes itll start going off, its 750w gold rated but am I somehow pulling to much power?

CPU: Intel i5 10600k
GPU: 1060 6gb
PSU
Mobo
Fans I just got

Here is a video of the sounds, ive never heard anything like it before it sounds like the psu is straining or something

Edit: I suppose I should note it started happening after I installed the fan on top, I turned it on and tested each fan before installing the next because it was my first time, it also takes 2-3 minutes before the noise starts. Im considering just going to best buy and getting an rm850x.

Edit2: Forgot to mention while it was running I was unplugging the non-cpu fans and the noise never stopped.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Sounds like Optimus Prime might come out of there, lol.

That shouldn't be sold as a PSU, more like an expensive paperweight. As for your fans, remove them from the build entirely and while doing so, please take pictures or videos of how they're all tethered to the system/PSU/motherboard. Prior to removing the fans, take the side panel off and inspect each component using a rolled up sheet of A4 paper and hold one end of the tube to your ear. Move from component to component to rule out other moving devices resonating and causing that noise.

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
Sounds like Optimus Prime might come out of there, lol.

That shouldn't be sold as a PSU, more like an expensive paperweight. As for your fans, remove them from the build entirely and while doing so, please take pictures or videos of how they're all tethered to the system/PSU/motherboard. Prior to removing the fans, take the side panel off and inspect each component using a rolled up sheet of A4 paper and hold one end of the tube to your ear. Move from component to component to rule out other moving devices resonating and causing that noise.
I can do that, but I suppose I should note it started happening after I installed the fan on top, I turned it on and tested each fan before installing the next because it was my first time, it also takes 2-3 minutes before the noise starts. Im considering just going to best buy and getting an rm850x.

Edit: Forgot to mention while it was running I was unplugging the non-cpu fans and the noise never stopped.