PSU Input Question: Correct Cable ?

slimjim4567

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Can it harm my PSU to use a power cable that didn't come with it? I was looking over my specs for my PSU and noticed that the input current is 11-5.5 A (x-850 seasonic) and the cable is a 13-6.5 A. I have not been able to find much info online about this and the cable looks identical to the "whats in the box" pic off new egg. I am probably worried about nothing but we just moved and I am not sure if this is the correct power cord or not. I can't find any others that match the current. most of the others I have are 10A cords for monitors or other PCs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
There are a couple types of the power cord, you can generally tell their current rating by their thickness. As long as it is similarly thick to what you had before the current rating will be close enough. An 850W PSU will be drawing about 8A at high load, so most cords you have should do it, most of them are rated for at least 8A, the 10A cords for your monitors will be fine. I have encountered some 5A cords, i would avoid using one of those.
There are a couple types of the power cord, you can generally tell their current rating by their thickness. As long as it is similarly thick to what you had before the current rating will be close enough. An 850W PSU will be drawing about 8A at high load, so most cords you have should do it, most of them are rated for at least 8A, the 10A cords for your monitors will be fine. I have encountered some 5A cords, i would avoid using one of those.

Solution

slimjim4567

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

Thanks. I am mostly ignorant about how electricity works, so I was worried that the power drawn would be more than the PSU could handle but it sounds like it will only draw what it needs and the cord rating is what the cord can handle at maximum. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.