[SOLVED] PSU is connected to a UPS

Nov 20, 2021
Hi, My PSU is connected to a UPS and I was wondering is it ok if I leave the PSU switch turned on and turn off the UPS and unplug it when I hop off the computer or is there another way?

Solution
I don't think you are saving anything by such manipulations.
A plugged in psu will always be getting some trickle power.
That is how it can respond to pressing the pc power button.
When you unplug the ups from the wall, the psu will get that trickle power from the ups battery.
Whenever you again plug in the ups, that slightly drained battery will draw extra power to charge it up again.
This power is very small so I imagine you can't tell the difference.
You could measure wall power and usage with a kill a watt meter...

Ralston18

Titan
No.

You should always use the Windows power icon to shutdown the computer.

Doing so allows Windows to do some "housekeeping" and otherwise get ready for the next boot up.

Using physical switches to power down interrupts that process and can lead to corrupted files and loss of data.

For the most part you want to just leave the UPS and PSU alone. Possible exceptions being when electrical work is being done or thunderstorms etc. are about.

Then, when necessary, you can power down via the Windows power icon and then turn off and unplug the USP (and other devices) from their host outlets.

However, that all said, is there some particular problem that created the question?

Nov 20, 2021
Thanks, I do use the windows power icon to power off my pc I just forgot to add it to my post. Soo it's ok that i leave my psu switch turned on and just turn off and unplug my UPS

I don't think you are saving anything by such manipulations.
A plugged in psu will always be getting some trickle power.
That is how it can respond to pressing the pc power button.
When you unplug the ups from the wall, the psu will get that trickle power from the ups battery.
Whenever you again plug in the ups, that slightly drained battery will draw extra power to charge it up again.
This power is very small so I imagine you can't tell the difference.
You could measure wall power and usage with a kill a watt meter:
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Ele...ocphy=9011564&hvtargid=pla-306572288073&psc=1

I might suggest, for convenience that you leave all plugged in and use sleep to ram.(no hibernate)
sleep puts the pc and monitor into a very low power state, not much different from full power off.
The benefit is that sleep/wake happens in a handful of seconds and will use less power than a full power off boot.

Solution