[SOLVED] PSU issue? RAM issue? Help!

Aug 16, 2021
Hello

About a year ago I upgraded my system from an old 550w crapper to an EVGA 650W B5 psu. However, it;s been doing funky things recently like turning on, turning off and turning on again all on it's own. Like, I'll press the power button, it'll turn on, off and back on before i even see the boot screen. It also overheats really easily and only under moderate load. When it does that, it just switches off. Like, no shutting down screen, just off. I've also had people telling me it might be RAM issues, but I'm not sure and I need some help

System specs:
  • RTX 2060
  • ryzen 7 1700X
  • Asus b350 pro
  • 2 sticks of 8GB PNY 2666mhz ram
  • wd m.2 ssd
  • two 7.5k rpm 3.5" hard drives (can't stagger startup, they run in raid)
  • 5 case fans
  • bunch of USB 3.0 devices, plus a usb splitter
  • EVGA 650W B5

Solution
Maybe they aren't the best tools, but I used a bunch of PSU wattage calculators and they told me my parts shouldnt be drawing more than ~500W.

That doesn't mean anything. If a PSU is failing -- and it isn't a particularly good quality one -- it doesn't matter what it "should" handle.
Aug 16, 2021
What temps are we talking about?
What make and model cpu cooler?
What make and model case?
Heve you ever update the motherboard BIOS?

hot enough that the psu switches off under load

for cpu, i'm using ryzen 7 1700x with wraith cooler. Temps on that are fine under load, a little warm (75-80C), but nothing terrible. gpu is rtx 2060, temps on that is reasonable too

For the case, it's a deepcool matrex 55, with a grill for the psu, so there is sufficient airflow and sufficient clearance from the ground.

And yes, I have updated the BIOS before

Aug 16, 2021
How do you know that the PSU is switching off because of heat rather than failing because of load? The post-Super Flower EVGA PSUs are not particularly good PSUs.
Maybe they aren't the best tools, but I used a bunch of PSU wattage calculators and they told me my parts shouldnt be drawing more than ~500W.