Question PSU Issue?

Sep 1, 2020
4
3
15
0
Hi All,

I couple weeks ago I purchased an Ibuypower PC (I regret this decision now) and early this morning, around 1AM, I woke up to a strong burning smell and noticed smoke coming from the computer. I immediately unplugged everything and let the computer sit for a bit. After plugging it back in the system will not turn on - only flashed for less than a second and then turns off. I'm assuming this is a PSU issue, but wanted to get a second opinion.

Parts list:

CaseThermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-9700KF Processor (8x 3.60GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingiBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Memory16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3200MHz ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB
Video CardGeForce RTX 2070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Storage32GB+512GB Intel Optane Memory H10 M.2 NVMe SSD
Game Bundle[Receive Game Bundle] - Get the Intel Q3 Galactic Gaming Bundle - w/ Purchase of Intel Core i7/i9 Processor
MotherboardASUS PRIME Z390-P (WiFi)
Power Supply650 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold
Internal Wireless NetworkPCIe or On-Board Wireless Network

I did some research on this "High Power" PSU and... let's just say I couldn't find anything positive about them. Today I opened the case and found that some of the wires were completely fried... Is there a chance that my other components have been damaged because of this?

View: https://imgur.com/Rln13ww

View: https://imgur.com/kRZpwB8


Thank you all in advance for the support!
 

Rodrigodrt

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
632
50
11,290
71
Seems likely, being 80 plus gold doesnt really spell quality, but technically it should, second, pic is a bit blurry but... kinda looks like an overheat instead of a short, that would come with a bang often, and since your PC was turned off, was it? it looks like it kept heating up thus why it smoked and melted pretty good.

now considering those cables are usually powered by a PSU pata or sata power connector, i'd say the psu is the guilty dude there, further attempts to power it up could just light up more things, but its possible to test the mobo, ram, cpu, gpu, if those are actually still alive with another psu
 
Sep 1, 2020
4
3
15
0
Thanks for the reply. The PC was left on overnight, as I usually have it. I'm in the process of buying a better quality PSU from Seasonic. Hopefully once that is installed the rest of the hardware will operate without issue.

I've been reading that these ratings don't really mean as much as they should. I guess its all about the brand?
 
The 80-plus ratings (and color level associated with them) only tell you how efficient they are. That is, when they're producing power, how much/little is lost.

It says (generally) nothing whatsoever about quality. A crappy PSU could, after all, be efficient until its substandard parts burn out.

BUT - do not think it's about the brand. Some big names offer PSUs, and they're crappy. Some offer a mix of both good and bad PSUs. I don't think that even any of the best PSU makers/suppliers are without at least one problematic model.

Click on the first link in my sig: that is a MUST-read when it comes to picking a quality PSU.
 
Hi All,

I couple weeks ago I purchased an Ibuypower PC (I regret this decision now) and early this morning, around 1AM, I woke up to a strong burning smell and noticed smoke coming from the computer. I immediately unplugged everything and let the computer sit for a bit. After plugging it back in the system will not turn on - only flashed for less than a second and then turns off. I'm assuming this is a PSU issue, but wanted to get a second opinion.

Parts list:

CaseThermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-9700KF Processor (8x 3.60GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingiBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Memory16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3200MHz ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB
Video CardGeForce RTX 2070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Storage32GB+512GB Intel Optane Memory H10 M.2 NVMe SSD
Game Bundle[Receive Game Bundle] - Get the Intel Q3 Galactic Gaming Bundle - w/ Purchase of Intel Core i7/i9 Processor
MotherboardASUS PRIME Z390-P (WiFi)
Power Supply650 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold
Internal Wireless NetworkPCIe or On-Board Wireless Network

I did some research on this "High Power" PSU and... let's just say I couldn't find anything positive about them. Today I opened the case and found that some of the wires were completely fried... Is there a chance that my other components have been damaged because of this?

View: https://imgur.com/Rln13ww

View: https://imgur.com/kRZpwB8


Thank you all in advance for the support!
This is not because of the PSU.

This has NOTHING to do with the PSU.
 

Prad_Bitt

Great
Jul 4, 2020
138
9
95
3
Thanks for the replies everyone. I spoke with Ibuypower and I was still within the 30 period so I sent it back for a full refund. I didn't really try anything else, as I didn't want to do anything to void the refund.
build your own pc instead, take it from numerous Bitwit videos, pre builts are trash
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS