PSU issues and GPU performances

Oct 18, 2018
Hello Guys,

I will try to summarize my issue efficiently. Sorry if there are language mistakes, not my mother tongue !

I upgraded my rig recently with the following :

Bequiet 700W BN279 (Nvidia recommends 650W for my GPU)
i7 - 8700k & H80iV2
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
Gigabyte RTX2080 gaming OC
Kingston 16go DDR4 3200mhz

It has been running very well for a few weeks, hitting close to 10800 GPU score and 7850 CPU score on 3Dmark. All games were smooth.

Then i tried to OC my CPU and was not able to get it stable even at very high voltage (i.e 1.35 was not stable for 4.8 ghz and neither was 1.40 for 4.9 ghz). For the record and didn't try past 1.40.

Soon after those failed OC trials, i gave up and put everything back to clock speed but my computer started behaving weirdly and would always restart when i was shutting it down, error code "Power Kernel 41 - 63".

I read online this could be PSU related so i just tried to put back my old PSU (Corsair VS550) and tadaaam everything started working again (still without OC) and everything was stable.

But then yesterday i just wanted to run a 3Dmark with that old 550W PSU just to double check while waiting for my new 700W PSU and i am getting a GPU score of only 8800. This is 20% lower... The CPU is getting the same score than before. FPS in games are also clearly lower than what i was getting before that issue with the Bequiet PSU.

So now, my questions :

1. Do you think that this Bequiet PSU (that i have now RMA) could have damaged my MOBO or GPU?
2. Do you think that the 550W PSU for my setup is not powerfull enough and therefore this is somehow limiting the GPU perfs?
3. Do you think the fact that my 550W PSU has only 1 cable for the 6 and 8 pins connectors is somehow limiting the GPU perfs?

Note : When running the graphic tests, there is a loud cyclic sound coming off the PSU (i think). It's like a cycle of 3 second during which half the time it is making usual noise, and for the other part its really louder.

Note 2 : When i stopped trying to OC my CPU with the Bequiet PSU, i wasnot even able to re-activate my XMP1 profile @3200Mhz. It wouldn't take it. With the old Corsair PSU, i was able to get back to the XMP1 without issue.

Note 3 : Everything is under warranty so I would really love to hear what you guys think !

Solution
First off, you need some monitoring software so that can show you voltage and temps. Generally speaking a faulty/weak psu will cause issues. As loads go up so does power consumption. Also you shouldn't be over clocking without a firm knowledge of how voltage and power drawing effects your PC. You can and will burn stuff up. lol
Oct 18, 2018
First off, you need some monitoring software so that can show you voltage and temps. Generally speaking a faulty/weak psu will cause issues. As loads go up so does power consumption. Also you shouldn't be over clocking without a firm knowledge of how voltage and power drawing effects your PC. You can and will burn stuff up. lol

Solution
Oct 18, 2018
Hello,

So today i have received my new Seasonic Focus 750+ and ran some tests. Everything seems stable but i am still getting only 9200 GPU score on 3d mark where i was getting 10800 with the previous PSU before it crashed. Just a reminder : everything is running stock clock as it was before my failed OC tests.

I did use Aida64 all along and MB never went above 55, CPU never above 75. Voltage trials for the CPU were in the range of 1.28, 1.40 max.

So i am now wondering whether this operation could have damaged my MB or my GPU. Is there anyway to know?

I have ran a OCCT supply tests with the new PSU :

TRENDING THREADS