[SOLVED] PSU issues? Maybe grounding ?

hpea2014

Reputable
Apr 28, 2019
So basically I get random screen flickers and a ticking noise from the computer, I suspect I have a grounding problem and my PC can static shock me on occasion but my house is on a full RCD system tested frequently. Could my Corsair TX750M be on its way out? I run a gtx1080ti and 9600k with nothing crazy on the overclock 4.8 GHz. I also use a surge protected power strip in line with the PC, what is going on :tired:

any help is much appreciated(y)

Solution
I suspect I have a grounding problem and my PC can static shock me on occasion

Static shock or a tingle when you touch metal barefoot?

Static shock just means static built up in you is discharging when touching ground (the PC).

A tingle would mean improper ground.

hpea2014

Reputable
Apr 28, 2019
Does it also do this when breadboarding? Would also maybe be a better way of looking where the ticking noise comes from.

Doesn't sound like the psu to me, but maybe someone else might disagree.
TBH mate im not entirely sure dont really want to tear it down as its not affecting the function of my PC, I suspect it could be time I do a fresh install of windows and get myself an upgrade at the same time XD me thinks m.2. If the weird behaviour persists I will tear it down

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Ticking sounds in a pc normaly is a hdd failing. The static shock might be a bad earth connection. Check in your bios setting and enable spread spectrum. Do you have many fans in your chassìs? Maybe your surge protection is faulty

hpea2014

Reputable
Apr 28, 2019
Ticking sounds in a pc normaly is a hdd failing. The static shock might be a bad earth connection. Check in your bios setting and enable spread spectrum. Do you have many fans in your chassìs? Maybe your surge protection is faulty
Yeh ive had hdd fail in the past but i dont use hdd anymore and my case fans shouldnt build static because they are mounted to the case in turn to the PSU and therefore grounded (I dont get shocks from the fans if ur implying they are isolated?

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Fans can, believe me, create static electricity inside your pc box. I had a pc long time back that had 8 120mm fans which choked me alot. And aventualy when i striped my machine i fried the mobo with the static charge, and the ram

Reactions: hpea2014

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Fans can, believe me, create static electricity inside your pc box. I had a pc long time back that had 8 120mm fans which choked me alot. And aventualy when i striped my machine i fried the mobo with the static charge, and the ram
I agree there. I got that static electricity numerous times, so what material you wear around PCs makes a difference.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Its the semi modular gold plus
That rules out the psu fan, but the "ticking sound" could still be a fan. Can put a finger on the middle of a fan to stop it shortly, maybe determine whether one of the fans is ticking.

Hard to say what you mean with "ticking". If it does come from the psu could the fan maybe hit the grill then again could there be a loose wire just touching another fan.