[SOLVED] psu just blew up!

Deston Muo

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
MY PSU JUST BLEW UP! Just built this 4 days ago. Xeon x3470, rx 480, p7p55 lx, 775 watt psu. I was messing around in csgo ocing my gpu and i turned up the voltage and my pc turned off and i heard what apparently are capicators blow up. I was so scared and also mad. Nearly went into the psu to see the damage but apparently that can kill you so I laid off. Anyways on to what seems to be the damage to the other components. WHile the psu was still plugged in. The led indicator on both my gpu and graphics card were still on, so does this mean that only my psu went out? And if so can i just slap a better psu in there and call it a day?

Solution
The Corsair RMx 750w has 62.5A on single rail. That's 750w on the nose. That laughable excuse for a psu shaped object is pushing @ 50A on dual rails, for a total of @ 600w ±. Out of the claimed 775w.

Your pc would be hard pressed to have power draws exceeding @ 400w.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Same class of psu, but at least these have a recognised brand.

You will not know anything for sure until a decent 550w-650w psu is mounted.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Corsair RMx 750w has 62.5A on single rail. That's 750w on the nose. That laughable excuse for a psu shaped object is pushing @ 50A on dual rails, for a total of @ 600w ±. Out of the claimed 775w.

Your pc would be hard pressed to have power draws exceeding @ 400w.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Same class of psu, but at least these have a recognised brand.

You will not know anything for sure until a decent 550w-650w psu is mounted.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
just confirmed that my everything works and posted to bios on a new psu. So i guess the final question is is my old psu still safe?/ can i test it?

No. It's scrap metal and chemicals now. When you get a chance, contact the company that takes your trash and tell them you have an electronic item to recycle.

You were very fortunate this time. Hopefully, you learned a good lesson about cheap PSUs for a less expensive price than many!

Reactions: Deston Muo