Question PSU just exploded, Not sure where to go from here. Need Advice

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
So I was active posting threads in the Systems tab for a while trying to find the culprit of my random shutdowns. After a long time trying to diagnose any driver/software related crashes I decided to start with a new PSU for obvious reasons. My original PSU is the Seasonic Prime TX 1600w. I'm running a 13th gen i9 and 4090. I was having random shut offs. So before I decided to RMA the PSU I decided to try a new PSU. I ordered a Corsair ATX 3.0 shift or something like that 1200w and I ran into no issues. Seemed my problems were fixed. So I started RMA process with Seasonic. They were very helpful and even upgraded me to the Seasonic Prime TX 1300w ATX 3.0. As soon as that got here I returned the Corsair and set up the new PSU. It was working flawlessly for about a week or more I suppose. I actually sent Seasonic a thank you just the other day saying it was working great. Lo and behold I jinxed myself and just now a couple hours ago I heard a Pop/explosion. I lost all power to PC but it did try to restart itself, and now my whole room smells like burnt hair.

I know long windy story but now I'm stuck I don't know what to do. Give Seasonic a 3rd shot? Maybe its not really the PSUs fault. What other part could be causing my PSUs to go bad? My Surge Protector wasn't tripped so its got to be a PSU issue right? Should I scrap Seasonic and give another company a try. Just hoping the rest of my system didnt get damaged.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Ouch !!
sorry to hear that !!
I would go back to corsair ive used them for a while now and never had and issue !!

BUT
a few things worry me you dont pop 1300w psu's easily !! ( seasonic is not a bad brand )

what else has popped ?

maybe go all out and over kill with a big boy 1600 corsair PSU to be on the safe side !!

personally if a brand failed on me a few times out the window and new brand ..

Im interested in a 13900k and 4090 would obviously melt a 850w but in fairness a 1000w should be more than enough so what spikes and why are you getting them to pop a 1300w !!

Last edited:

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Ouch !!
sorry to hear that !!
I would go back to corsair ive used them for a while now and never had and issue !!

BUT
a few things worry me you dont pop 1300w psu's easily !! ( seasonic is not a <Mod Edit> brand )

what else has popped ?

maybe go all out and over kill with a big boy 1600 corsair PSU to be on the safe side !!

personally if a brand failed on me a few times out the window and new brand ..

Im interested in a 13900k and 4090 would obviously melt a 850w but in fairness a 1000w should be more than enough so what spikes and why are you getting them to pop a 1300w !!
Beats me I have no clue why any of my Hardware would cause a PSU to Explode. and I did have my 1600w Prime TX. It never exploded but would shut down randomly. Im definitely looking at Corsair again but not sure what I want to go with yet. I want the titanium but I just dont know anymore.

I did have my 1600w Prime TX. It never exploded but would shut down randomly.
That's the 'noise on the sense wire' issue. Tippically a Seasonic thing.
Im definitely looking at Corsair again but not sure what I want to go with yet. I want the titanium
Corsair does not have any Titanium PSU atm. AX Titanium was the last one but inside a terrible Seasonic Prime TX with shut down issues like yours. Take a look at the Corsair HX ATX3.0 or FSP Hydro PTM Pro ATX3.0. Both better than any Seasonic. For a Titanium effycient unit you look at the FSP Hydro Ti ATX3.0.

Ghost 0776

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
That's the 'noise on the sense wire' issue. Tippically a Seasonic thing.

Corsair does not have any Titanium PSU atm. AX Titanium was the last one but inside a terrible Seasonic Prime TX with shut down issues like yours. Take a look at the Corsair HX ATX3.0 or FSP Hydro PTM Pro ATX3.0. Both better than any Seasonic. For a Titanium effycient unit you look at the FSP Hydro Ti ATX3.0.
Thank you for the recommendations I'm going to look at the FSP Titanium one. Seems like its only 1000w though. Corsair didn't fail me when I needed it but I'm 50/50 whether I want anything under Titanium.

What do you think of the Corsair Shift 1200w? Its gold rated but its what I used as a tester before.

Currently I pulled my old corsair RM850 and 1080ti from my 7 year old build and everything seems to be okay in the new PC. Cant test my 4090 on this old PSU but everything else checks out I hope.

Still have to check my wall outlet but I'm almost positive I wont find anything there.

Just waiting on Seasonic at this time I guess. I have no idea what to expect trying to RMA the RMA replacement lmao.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Thank you for the recommendations I'm going to look at the FSP Titanium one. Seems like its only 1000w though. Corsair didn't fail me when I needed it but I'm 50/50 whether I want anything under Titanium.

What do you think of the Corsair Shift 1200w? Its gold rated but its what I used as a tester before.

Currently I pulled my old corsair RM850 and 1080ti from my 7 year old build and everything seems to be okay in the new PC. Cant test my 4090 on this old PSU but everything else checks out I hope.

Still have to check my wall outlet but I'm almost positive I wont find anything there.

Just waiting on Seasonic at this time I guess. I have no idea what to expect trying to RMA the RMA replacement lmao.
corsair hx 1200 platinum and from what ive seen and WAY WAY over kill the corsair ax 1600i is titanium but comes at a big cost !!

on the flip side if budget permits what your thoughts on next gen Intel and the 5090 ??
maybe not a stupid idea to go all out and buy big big !!

personally myself im thinking of going over kill big soon my 7900xtx red devil recommended a 900w which is overkill as the best i can pull OC is max power slider 450 470w

But thinking on next gen im sure my poor 1000w will need a upgrade !!