Question PSU killed my GPU

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
So recently my 7 years old cheapo 500W PSU died, and it brought down my GPU with it. My GPU is already out of warranty, so I've been thinking to do the oven trick to bring it back temporarily, but I'm not certain that it will work for my situation. Is it worth a try, or should I just leave it?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My GPU is already out of warranty,
Even so, wouldn't have mattered because technically it wasn't a fault of the GPU, even if it was under warranty, they wouldn't have repaired/replaced it.

Doubt the oven will work, this is a problem with cheap PSUs, they do cause this kind of damage, and much of it can be unseen. I'd get a new GPU and obviously upgrade to a good quality PSU.

I'm sure you've seen all the posts on TH about the risk of cheap / poor quality PSUs!

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Even so, wouldn't have mattered because technically it wasn't a fault of the GPU, even if it was under warranty, they wouldn't have repaired/replaced it.

Doubt the oven will work, this is a problem with cheap PSUs, they do cause this kind of damage, and much of it can be unseen. I'd get a new GPU and obviously upgrade to a good quality PSU.

I'm sure you've seen all the posts on TH about the risk of cheap / poor quality PSUs!
Well I did buy a new PSU, one of the best rated PSUs in my country, an 80 plus bronze with active PFC and all the protections a PSU can have, and now I've been hoping that I can ressurect my gpu until i get a new one

Reactions: PC Tailor

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
What make and model PSU is it out of curiosity?

Likelihood is no unfortunately, just a danger of poor quality PSUs.
Well i recycled the PSU from a prebuilt pc that my brother had bought back in 2012 from a pc store in my city, so there's PLUS-COMPUTER written on it, but it cost like 10-15$ to buy it independently. I have been planing on buying the one i have now, but i kept delaying it for reasons that I dont know.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oooh, sorry. Njoy Titan 500W, its a romanian brand, but its one of the more popular and well reviewed brands. I have done lots of research to decide what PSU to buy, and I came out with this.
Hmm not a brand that appear on any testing or reviews I've seen. Not a good sign.I also can't see who actually manufactures them or what spec they use, do you have a link?

How much did it cost? Just need to clarify, as unfortunately regular reviews typically aren't reflective of the quality of the unit and the last thing any of us would want is for you to purchase a unit that does the same thing as the last!

Even on here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-old/?page=202
Some are stating that the Cooler Master MWE is better quality, which is worrying!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Hmm not a brand that appear on any testing or reviews I've seen. Not a good sign.I also can't see who actually manufactures them or what spec they use, do you have a link?

How much did it cost? Just need to clarify, as unfortunately regular reviews typically aren't reflective of the quality of the unit and the last thing any of us would want is for you to purchase a unit that does the same thing as the last!

Even on here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-old/?page=202
Some are stating that the Cooler Master MWE is better quality, which is worrying!
https://www.njoy.ro/PSU/titan500
On the PC garage link, go to "Specificatii tehnice" to see the specs. Unfortunately, all the sites and reviews are in Romanian, and I can only find customer reviews, and I also have a limited budget, when brands like Corsair, Seasonic or EVGA are way overpriced around here.

DSzymborski

Titan
Oh god, an Njoy. This company is called Dai-Tech and makes shoddy power supplies and I've seen at least one fry a system here.

https://www.njoy.ro/PSU/titan500

This one has 372W on the 500W rail (so "500" watt PSU). They also like fake 80 Plus badges; they have two PSUs at higher wattages that passed 80 Plus Standard and 80 Plus Silver.

https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=1394&type=4

Well, what happens when you have a couple power supplies that get 80 Plus for efficiency? Well, in the case of Dai-Tech/nJoy, you simply assign yourself some badges for your other power supplies!

Ancient design and fake certifications aren't a great start. That none of the reviews are actually reviews is a problem on top of this.

JGTesting2.jpg

If a review isn't done like this, it's not actually a review for a power supply.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well i recycled the PSU from a prebuilt pc that my brother had bought back in 2012 from a pc store in my city, so there's PLUS-COMPUTER written on it, but it cost like 10-15$ to buy it independently. I have been planing on buying the one i have now, but i kept delaying it for reasons that I dont know.

I have experience with these. These are called "PC killers." They should advertise them that way. Pay us $15 and we'll kill your PC!