PSU killing GPU??

Rkyle

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Ive went through 3 gpus now (Yes, 3) the first two were rx 580s. The first one just quit right in the middle of a game, like whole pc shut off. The pc would not turn back on until the card was removed. The second 580 while it didn't completely fail, it suddenly started rendering games very bad, like jagged shadows (VERY jagged, made game unplayable as they were too distracting as they moved around) and frame stuttering. So i figured it was just not a good card for my system and went and bought a gtx 1080. My 1080 today started doing the exact same thing as the previous card - very laggy, jagged shadows, 100% usage shown in task manager. this is a fresh install of windows so it can't be related to that. Now today I wen't and got my 4th gpu, another 1080, and a new PSU but im still worried about even using it because i do not want it to fail again. I can't think of it being anything other than the psu, any ideas?

My system specs:
Gigabyte b250m-ds3h
i5 6500
evga 1080 sc
16gb (2x8) geil evo potenza 2400 ram - cheap ram i know
Corsair cx650m Psu

Probably irrelevant:
corsair liquid cpu cooler
thermaltake case
sandisk 256gb ssd - for boot
wdblue 1tb - for storage

Solution
did you ever try getting in contact with the gpu manufacturer and getting a replacement thought them or even just seeing what they say went wrong because a lot of these higher end electronics manufacturers have decent customer support i have gotten my ram sticks replaced a few times even with the damage being from someone...

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
It could be a the PSU or something else. Swap out with a new PSU and see if your system runs stable.

I particularly don't use corsair PSUs. The last two, CX750M and RM850i failed within a year with very little use. The CX750M failed within three weeks.

Your experience may vary but personally, I stay away from Corsair PSUs.

Maybe give EVGA a shot. I've been using their SuperNova G2/G3 and haven't had any problems.

If you change the PSU and the problem persists, get to play the PC Component Elimination Game where strip it down to the bare minimum and swap components for known good ones until you find the culprit.

I wish you luck though, I'm hoping it's the PSU.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, well that's the half the fun of building your own PC... Trying to figure it out what's wrong when something isn't working.

My suggestion, grab a 750W psu... Perhaps an EVGA 750 SuperNova G3?

Rkyle

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
actually i did just buy a 750w psu, not that one though, im on a budget. I picked up one made by thermaltake that had really good reviews and so far it works great but theres still a part of me thats still scared to plug in the gpu.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
The SuperNova G3 is like $60 (after MIR tho) but yeah, try the new PSU and see if it works. If it's not the PSU then whatever is jacking up your other GPUs is gon mess up the next thing you plug in there anyway. Might as well eliminate one of the factors. Good luck and keep us posted!

Rkyle

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
all of the g3s on amazon are 80 bucks which is what i paid for the one i just got, I would have went with evga but the store didnt have any higher watt ones like it. Is that even possible for a MB to fry the gpu? you say that i could be sending too much power but i thought all of the power came directly from the power supply? I should mention that the failed cards had some coil whine when they started to go.

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
did you ever try getting in contact with the gpu manufacturer and getting a replacement thought them or even just seeing what they say went wrong because a lot of these higher end electronics manufacturers have decent customer support i have gotten my ram sticks replaced a few times even with the damage being from someone trying to force the stick into the slot along with a 1060 from Zotac that I jacked up one of the contacts trying to install it in a case it was to big for. enough of my rambling in short you should at least give them a call and see what they say could cause it maybe its something super simple we are overlooking.

Solution