Question PSU lacks 8+4pin for upgrade to X570/B550 motherboards

Aug 9, 2020
Hi guys, been considering for an upgrade an i have been eyeing for a ASRock B550 steel legend. A pal of mine has pointed out that it has a 8+4 CPU pin.

However, my EVGA 550W G3 only has a 8 pin CPU pin. Is there any extension that i could buy to turn it into a 8+4pin or is it even compatible? Could i possibly use an extra 4 pin from my PCIE to the motherboard, though im not confident about that at all.

I have seen in some of the forums threads that you do not necssarily require the extra +4pin as it's for extreme overclock. At the same time, i've read up about people not able to boot. It's really contradicting to me.

Anyways i've been wanting to pair it with either a Ryzen 5 3600 or a Ryzen 7 3700x.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is there any extension that i could buy to turn it into a 8+4pin or is it even compatible?
Bad idea, if the PSU doesn't have the cable, it usually means it's not made to do it.

The +4 pin is really only for additional overclocking and should run fine without the additional 4pin plugged in. The +4 supplies additional power for those that do need it in these situations.

I have also seen times where it won't boot without it, but much rarer than the adverse, it's not contradicting per se, just computers! Some motherboard are OK with it, some aren't!

But you should be fine. Either way if you wanted to upgrade, it might also push to having to upgrade the PSU to suit the latest motherboards anyway.

Could i possibly use an extra 4 pin from my PCIE to the motherboard
No, never!

Reactions: Potato Zebra
Aug 9, 2020
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Bad idea, if the PSU doesn't have the cable, it usually means it's not made to do it.

The +4 pin is really only for additional overclocking and should run fine without the additional 4pin plugged in. The +4 supplies additional power for those that do need it in these situations.

I have also seen times where it won't boot without it, but much rarer than the adverse, it's not contradicting per se, just computers! Some motherboard are OK with it, some aren't!

But you should be fine. Either way if you wanted to upgrade, it might also push to having to upgrade the PSU to suit the latest motherboards anyway.

No, never!

Thanks for clearing things out for me! seems like the best solution for me is to save some more cash for a new PSU!

The aux cpu power is there for two reasons:
  1. To handle higher voltages if you are overclocking.
  2. To handle the extra power required for a second pcie slot as on a crossfire setup.
Most of the time, you will run just fine.
Your motherboard manual should tell you this.
But, possibly, some motherboards may require that the +4 be populated.

With a quality psu like yours, I would have no problem using a adapter cable like this if necessary:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...words=4+pin+cpu+adapter&qid=1596987946&sr=8-3

Reactions: Potato Zebra

TRENDING THREADS