[SOLVED] PSU looses power, turns on then off

msalcedorivas

Commendable
Jan 5, 2019
My psu started failing a few days ago. First it would loose power suddenly out of nowhere but with days in between, but started happening more frequently very fast, an now it wont even boot. I did the paperclip test and the problem is there, but is weird. I can try jumpstarting it 3 times at it will stay on only a few seconds, but the forth time it will stay powered for 30mins, an hour, or more. this is a pattern.

I know power supplies can't be serviceable by customers, but is there anything I can do? does it have salvation`? it was fine until now and it still turns on, so that makes me believe there is some hope and its just a simple problem. I was told by a friend that it could be dust, is that possible? can it be a static problem?

Please don't just tell me just to buy another one unless there is really nothing to be done. I really have no money for a new one so I really do need to try everything I can to keep this one alive. Yes, I know the best is to get a new one to keep my pc from exploding, but I have to believe there is a chance this is just a small problem that can be fixed.

Its an EVGA 600B and I have a Pentium g3250, 8gb RAM ddr3 1600mhz and a rx 480 with fans at 100% all the time.

Solution
My psu started failing a few days ago. First it would loose power suddenly out of nowhere but with days in between, but started happening more frequently very fast, an now it wont even boot. I did the paperclip test and the problem is there, but is weird. I can try jumpstarting it 3 times at it will stay on only a few seconds, but the forth time it will stay powered for 30mins, an hour, or more. this is a pattern.

I know power supplies can't be serviceable by customers, but is there anything I can do? does it have salvation`? it was fine until now and it still turns on, so that makes me believe there is some hope and its just a simple problem. I was told by a friend that it could be dust, is that possible? can it be a static...

I know power supplies can't be serviceable by customers, but is there anything I can do? does it have salvation`? it was fine until now and it still turns on, so that makes me believe there is some hope and its just a simple problem. I was told by a friend that it could be dust, is that possible? can it be a static problem?

Please don't just tell me just to buy another one unless there is really nothing to be done. I really have no money for a new one so I really do need to try everything I can to keep this one alive. Yes, I know the best is to get a new one to keep my pc from exploding, but I have to believe there is a chance this is just a small problem that can be fixed.

Its an EVGA 600B and I have a Pentium g3250, 8gb RAM ddr3 1600mhz and a rx 480 with fans at 100% all the time.
One thing you could try is to remove the video card and use the integrated Intel graphics from your CPU. This will remove the load the GPU places on the power supply. If it runs ok with iGPU the power supply may be going out, in which case you'd have to replace it. It's not a definitive test but it might give some clue to the problem.

The EVGA 600B comes with a 3 year warranty. If it's still under warranty you may be able to return it to EVGA but you'd have to contact their support system to see about that.

Solution