Question PSU loud fan and burnt plastic smell

eizzra

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
I may have damaged my PSU whilst moving my PC from one area to another, I have a Corsair CX750 80 Plus Bronze PSU and have had it for around 5 years now.

I decided to move my PC & Desk from one area to another, I keep my pc tower on the floor(Carpet), however I have a plastic spacer so the bottom of the tower doesn't touch the carpet and so fresh air can be sucked in through the PSU (I have it facing down). However I didn't put the plastic spacer correctly and the bottom of the tower was touching directly on the carpet.

Fast forward a couple of day, I can hear a loud fan sound and this is when I realized my mistake...I quickly unplugged and just compressed air to clean the PSU fan and intake area.

The PSU is working fine now, however the fan seems to be louder than normal, the GPU isn't on and the CPU and case fan are all running silently. There is also a strong burnt plastic smell coming from the PSU.

After searching online, many have suggested it may be to do with the dust being burnt/cooked/fried inside of the PSU which is causing it to smell and heat up.

I've tried my best to clean inside (without opening it), is this the end for my PSU, will this just be a ticking timebomb that will potentially kill my system in the future?

Any feedback would be great!

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
i would change the PSU. problem is not dust, problem is you blocked accidentaly the air intake, and it burned.

i wouldn't trust this PSU anymore, it did it's job by sacrifycing itself while not (hopefully) killing your other components.

keep this computer switched off until the PSU is changed

Reactions: eizzra

eizzra

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
"I've tried my best to clean inside (without opening it), is this the end for my PSU, will this just be a ticking timebomb that will potentially kill my system in the future? "

I would replace the PSU. If you smell a burnt smell , something is damaged.

i would change the PSU. problem is not dust, problem is you blocked accidentaly the air intake, and it burned.

i wouldn't trust this PSU anymore, it did it's job by sacrifycing itself while not (hopefully) killing your other components.

keep this computer switched off until the PSU is changed

Thanks for the feedback, I guess it's time to admit I made a expensive mistake and I'll need to buy a new PSU.

PSU have become hard to find now, many are OOS

Thanks for the feedback, I guess it's time to admit I made a expensive mistake and I'll need to buy a new PSU.

PSU have become hard to find now, many are OOS
Everyone makes mistakes...you overlooked something...and it's not that expensive.

A bigger mistake would be not changing the PSU...because now you know you should change it...and if you don't...I think there is a good likelihood you could potentially damage everything in your system.

Reactions: eizzra