Question PSU Magnetic Field

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Hey,

I've a Corsair CX650M and I was having issues with my WIFI network for some months now, but I never realised that the issues came from the PSU causing interference with my wireless network. Honestly, I never suspected because the router is 50/55 cm away from the PSU (case is a NZXT S340).

Today, I was testing my PC with OCCT and found that everytime the PC is using more energy (stress testing, etc) the wifi performance is affected by interference. Another way to test this, is with my smartphone and google maps. If the smartphone is inside the 50cm range of the PSU, and the PC is running a stress test, then the smartphone loses GPS signal, or the signal becomes very weak.

Is this considered normal? Should the magnetic field created by the PSU cause interference at this distance, which in my opinion, is quite large?

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend putting a router right next to a PC unless the PC is in a full metal enclosure without a glass side panel. That much RF hammering into the motherboard circuitry can't be good for the PC. I would relocate it a few feet away if possible...also adding some ferrite chokes on your power cable into the router and PC wouldn't be a bad idea either.

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamtop-Cli...uppressor&qid=1615074408&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
I wouldn't recommend putting a router right next to a PC unless the PC is in a full metal enclosure without a glass side panel.

I also reproduce this from the right side of the case, where there is no glass side.

That much RF hammering into the motherboard circuitry can't be good for the PC. .

In which way do you think the RF will damage the MB? Can you be more specific?

Thank you for your feedback :)

RF from a router is just another form of power...you can measure the power being collected by an antenna with a meter which is how CATV systems and satellite dishes are tuned. You do the same at home with a roof antenna by turning it until the signal (power level) is sufficient to deliver good video and audio information to your TV.

A wifi router is no different...it's putting out a radio signal (same principal, different frequency) that your wireless devices pickup and the faster the transmit and receive data rate of the router the more power it's putting out. If you place that right next to the PC you're bombarding the electrical cord feeding the PSU with RF as well as the internal wire traces of all components inside the case. Power levels drop very fast as you move a device away from the RF source (your router) to the point where it's unlikely the wifi router output would interfere at a distance of more than a few feet.

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
RF from a router is just another form of power...you can measure the power being collected by an antenna with a meter which is how CATV systems and satellite dishes are tuned. You do the same at home with a roof antenna by turning it until the signal (power level) is sufficient to deliver good video and audio information to your TV.

A wifi router is no different...it's putting out a radio signal (same principal, different frequency) that your wireless devices pickup and the faster the transmit and receive data rate of the router the more power it's putting out. If you place that right next to the PC you're bombarding the electrical cord feeding the PSU with RF as well as the internal wire traces of all components inside the case. Power levels drop very fast as you move a device away from the RF source (your router) to the point where it's unlikely the wifi router output would interfere at a distance of more than a few feet.

Ok. I've it at >50 cm from the PC, but I will take a look to move it a bit far from it. Anyway, what's bothering me is the magnetic field that is "leaking" from the PSU, since it can interfere with other devices near the computer case, for example, devices in my desk, and that doesn't seem normal for me...

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Are you sure your outlets are grounded?

Yes, but even if the outlet isn't grounded (it is), Im using a APC BackUPS.

I've been testing with the GPS signal on my phone with the app "GPS Status" to check for the GPS accuracy, and as soon as I fire a stress test on the PC, the phone looses GPS signal (from 5 meters of accuracy to 200 and then nothing). This happens on a <2 meters radius...

I'm going crazy with this, I honestly don't understand what's going on! Any suggestions are appreaciated :(

Last edited:

Di0g0

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
I've found that this only happens when the CPU is being stress tested or with high usage on a game. This doesn't happen if I only use a tool to stress test the GPU. Any ideas?