PSU makes desktop case conductive

Spokkiz

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Hi, i've notice that my desktop case is conductive, especially noticable if i touch it at the same time as i touch the radiator.

I've narrowed it down to the PSU "leaking" current to the case and now for my question: can i disconnect the wire grounding the psu main power intake to the psu case? Im guessing the psu needs to be grounded but maybe it will be grounded through the multiple socket im using instead?

Im definetly no pro when it comes to electrics but i know some basics, but im also a poor student so buying new stuff is out of the question. Thnx for the help!

Solution
Firstly, your case is metal. It's meant to be conductive. I'm assuming you mean that you can feel a current between it and your (probably properly grounded) radiator.

Is your computer, and the power strip it's plugged into, grounded? Ground pin is intact, plugged into a 3-pin outlet etc.?

Removing that ground wire is illegal and unsafe.
Firstly, your case is metal. It's meant to be conductive. I'm assuming you mean that you can feel a current between it and your (probably properly grounded) radiator.

Is your computer, and the power strip it's plugged into, grounded? Ground pin is intact, plugged into a 3-pin outlet etc.?

Removing that ground wire is illegal and unsafe.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS