Question PSU makes loud noise when starting computer

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
When I turn my PC off after coming home, it starts normally, but my PSU (BCP XS500, Sentey, pretty shit ikr) starts making this loud noise: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1OwKdZQ4MBI

A little hit to the back of the case mutes it, but most of the time the noise just comes back after a few seconds. At some point it will stop after I hit the back of the PC again. Just little taps will silence the loud sound the fan makes.

Anyone knows why this happens?

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Either 1) It's starting to fail or 2) Something is stuck inside?

Have you taken a look at it with a flashlight when running to see if you can see anything inside?

The fan bearing on the PSU is starting to wear out.

In which case this stuff has been starting to happen for over a year now. It used to happen only when I turned on the PC and now it happens ocassionally throughout the day. I've noticed that both times I put something on top of my case the sound started, and it wouldn't go away for minutes. Apparently, if I let the noise go on for a minute and then gently tap the back of the case, it stops.

So far the PSU has been working well, and I've cleaned the PC today, so it's not any dirt or anything I guess.

mtracy1991

Reputable
In which case this stuff has been starting to happen for over a year now. It used to happen only when I turned on the PC and now it happens ocassionally throughout the day. I've noticed that both times I put something on top of my case the sound started, and it wouldn't go away for minutes. Apparently, if I let the noise go on for a minute and then gently tap the back of the case, it stops.

So far the PSU has been working well, and I've cleaned the PC today, so it's not any dirt or anything I guess.

Maybe its a bearing starting to or already failing.

If your PSU is anything like Sentey MBP550-HS then the PSU fan comes with a sleeve bearing, those are the cheapest bearing for CPU fans. They start to wear out after about a year or 8000 hours of use. When they start going they make the noise that you are hearing.

Fan bearings - can be fixed by replacing the fan
Better to buy a decent PSU though if you can afford it.
Otherwise $10 or so on a decent fan - but you got to get the right size. Doesn't need the exact same plug, because you can use the old wire and splice it. Just need the same dimensions and voltage.

Fan bearings - can be fixed by replacing the fan
Better to buy a decent PSU though if you can afford it.
Otherwise $10 or so on a decent fan - but you got to get the right size. Doesn't need the exact same plug, because you can use the old wire and splice it. Just need the same dimensions and voltage.
While the fan can be replaced, if the manufacturer cheaped out that much by putting a sleeve bearing fan into a PSU where else did they cut corners to cut cost? Since the fan is already making noise, you could assume that the rest of it is going to fail soon and at best only take our your computer. You are right that you should get a new PSU of good quality.

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I can't afford a new PSU right now, mainly because I'm saving my money to get a decent CPU.

I've just noticed that whenever the PSU fan is making this noise, there's no airflow coming out of it, I can't fell any wave of air when I put my hand in front of it; once the fan stops making this noise though, air do start coming out.

Anyone knows what's up?

Viprex

BANNED
May 16, 2019
Replacing the PSU fan is never a good idea. Without proper knowledge and testing, the new fan will likely roar and/or provide insufficient airflow, thus overheating the internals and risking your PC components.

At best you can oil your current fan.
Your PSU isn't even worth repairing any further.