[SOLVED] psu makes sweeking noise when i press shut down computer and other concernr

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Hi there, so I just put together a new build the other day and everything is new except a 2 year old psu and a 8 year old hdd for storage. Everything seems fine when booted up and testing things out. But when I hit shut down computer, as its shutting down within the 2-3 second time window. I can hear a weird squeal almost more like a sweaking noise from what I believe is the psu but gpu is close by, its hard to pinpoint as both are close together to tell if it's fully coming from the psu or the gpu. But my best guess is that it sounds like it's the from the psu.

I don't recall the psu making this sound in the old build when shut down, but the one thing I changed was that the psu had its intake fans facing up in the old build. The new build i have the intake fans facing down. (New case has a psu cover shelter) I don't know if that would cause it to make the noise? I have also heard the same sound briefly while browsing Firefox but seems to happen randomly and rarely so far.

My other concern might not be related but I have noticed my motherboards debug led for vga sits solid for a few seconds then disappears before the boot debug led lights up for a split second before the boot process has completed. I wanted to make sure if that is normal or if I should be concerned about that? As everything seems to run fine and has been stable while on it within the past day so far.

I took a really crappy quality video trying to capture what the noise sounds like and shows the motherboard debug led lights during the booting. My camera isn't the best but I hope it helps and thank you, I'll reply asap.

Current build:
Case: Thermaltake v200 tg rgb
CPU: i7 9700kf
Gpu: asus geforce dual fan oc rtx 2070 super
Mobo: msi mpg z390 gaming plus (300 series)
Ram: g.skill tridentz ddr4 rgb 16gb (8x2)
Psu: evga supernova 850 g2
ssd: samsung 860 evo 500gb (windows 10 installed)
hdd: seagate and WD blue (both 2tb, seagate is the 8 year old one)

Edit: here's a link to the video that captures the sound of what I believe is the psu causing it, but it's possible it could be the gpu? I feel it's the psu though when I've tried listening in it's direction.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lVYgSca5Q&feature=youtu.be

@0:05 the noise is heard.
@0:37 shows debug led lights (vga one stays solid as computer boots up, then quickly switches to the boot debug led before being gone. Boot seems normal though)
@1:55 the noise is heard again as I shut down.

Last edited:
Solution
Well good news and bad news..

Good news is that it's not the psu or the gpu after all. It turned out to be the new hdd (western digital 2tb) I located the noise not coming from the psu, so I listened with my ear right next to the hdd bay and noticed it. So I unplugged the WD hdd to try running everything with the old seagate one (windows 10 is on samsung ssd). I went to shut down and the noise was gone!

Only bad news is now I'm going to send the new hdd back and see if I can get a refund or replacement. I'm sure western digital make good products, but I think if I can get a refund I'd prefer to get another seagate instead. I don't normally try different brand names for certain computer parts but felt like giving it a try for a hdd...

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
The led lights on boot up are normal. What happens if you shut the power off using the rear button on the psu?

Okay that's at least one good thing to hear about the led debug lights, I wouldn't have noticed them at all if I wasn't trying to shut down computer to recreate the sound being heard and listening/looking around. Silly question.. But is it safe to just flip the rear button on the psu while the computer is on? I could unscrew the psu out of the case shelter/cover and remove it from the computer case while it's still hooked up to the build and try powering it on/off to fully be able to hear if the noise is from the psu (pretty sure it is but hard to tell if the sound is bouncing off the case.)

If it's safe I'll try the rear button before removing the psu from the case just to confirm 100% that the noise being made is from the psu.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Well it is safe, but I recommend pulling the psu out, if you are willing to do that, to see if it is making the noise. Being upside down could move the ball bearings around in the fan causing it to squeak.
Just to confirm, It's safe to flip the -/o rear power button on the back of the psu with it plugged into the build without causing any harm to the other components? (Just trying to be safe and not cause any other problems)

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Well good news and bad news..

Good news is that it's not the psu or the gpu after all. It turned out to be the new hdd (western digital 2tb) I located the noise not coming from the psu, so I listened with my ear right next to the hdd bay and noticed it. So I unplugged the WD hdd to try running everything with the old seagate one (windows 10 is on samsung ssd). I went to shut down and the noise was gone!

Only bad news is now I'm going to send the new hdd back and see if I can get a refund or replacement. I'm sure western digital make good products, but I think if I can get a refund I'd prefer to get another seagate instead. I don't normally try different brand names for certain computer parts but felt like giving it a try for a hdd since I already had one as back up and worse came to worse hdd's aren't a major thing. I figured I'd report back and let anyone with similar issues to double check their hdd's

Solution