Question PSU makes unusual "cracking" noise

lsermokas

Commendable
Sep 30, 2017
I haven't seen anyone with a similar issue so i'm going to make a post myself. I have an evga 600w white power supply and it seems like this particular power supply tends to make a weird "cracking noise" from time to time (here's what it sounds like
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrwFuW5dCc
) I actually have 2 of these power supplies in different systems and I ran across the same issue on both systems. Can anyone explain why it makes this noise? Should i be worried or just annoyed?

post your complete system specs.

can barely hear the noise even with speakers turned all the way up.
but what i do hear doesn't sound like any normal issues that cause PSU noise like fan problems or coil whine.
sounds like a "chirp" that comes at what seems like a regular interval but there was also a quieter sound that seems more like something loose rattling.

if the unit has a regular fan shield that can be removed; try stopping the fan and see if the sound(s) continue.

i would also search around online and on the EVGA forums for anyone mentioning similar issues.

lsermokas

Commendable
Sep 30, 2017
post your complete system specs.

can barely hear the noise even with speakers turned all the way up.
but what i do hear doesn't sound like any normal issues that cause PSU noise like fan problems or coil whine.
sounds like a "chirp" that comes at what seems like a regular interval but there was also a quieter sound that seems more like something loose rattling.

if the unit has a regular fan shield that can be removed; try stopping the fan and see if the sound(s) continue.

i would also search around online and on the EVGA forums for anyone mentioning similar issues.
gtx 1660 super, ryzen 5 3600, 1 tb hd 1 200gb ssd motherboard asus rog strix b450-f, 75hz 1080p monitor
the power supply still makes the noise even when idle on power saver so I wouldn't think that the power supply is under any stress

I haven't seen anyone with a similar issue so i'm going to make a post myself. I have an evga 600w white power supply and it seems like this particular power supply tends to make a weird "cracking noise" from time to time (here's what it sounds like

) I actually have 2 of these power supplies in different systems and I ran across the same issue on both systems. Can anyone explain why it makes this noise? Should i be worried or just annoyed?

Weird. It's like a "chirp" or a "scrape" noise to me.

TRENDING THREADS