[SOLVED] PSU making a quiet noise | Corsair RM850

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2020
Hi guys,

Recently i bought a Corsair RM850, it does a quietly buzzing noise and like little "sparks" in idle and quiet electrical noise on high load.
I can hear it if i put my ears close of it (10 cm ~) but it's not annoying at a normal distance.

Im worried because it can be a defective PSU or something...

Hi guys,

Recently i bought a Corsair RM850, it does a quietly buzzing noise and like little "sparks" in idle and quiet electrical noise on high load.
I can hear it if i put my ears close of it (10 cm ~) but it's not annoying at a normal distance.

Im worried because it can be a defective PSU or something...

Normal. And it's not a "sparking" that you're hearing. It's more like a rapid buzz.

Last edited:
To make such a claim, please backup with sources to support your position. Otherwise, this is not helpful to the OP nor community.
Ok. Ready. Set. Go!

How does he know it's not 1st gen RM (a terrible PSU that JG praised in forums for years before Corsair got wise and threw out the old platform)?

First off there was the well known problem of overheating on the first batch of Hipro/ Chicony Power Technology made units. Almost every capacitor on the secondary side is Taiwanese Teapo´s and Chinese CapXon´s

That ripple would break my overclock.

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1097129/e/e1/e15d59e2_RM.jpeg

But sure, trust the guy who gets paid by Corsair. I'm just a retired nuke ET who went on to get his EE, afterall. If you know what an ETN is, the. You very well know where you are on the knowledge foodchain.

Or just keep giving pats on the back to the guy who loved the original CX (actually he got paid to fake that he loved it).

My goodness, I know I solved at least 1000 threads on just CX/RM on this forum alone between 2011-2015. Those junkers would overheat so fast and get unstable as the dielectric eveporated making the 12v rail go from ------ to ~~~~~~

Ok. Ready. Set. Go!

How does he know it's not 1st gen RM (a terrible PSU that JG praised in forums for years before Corsair got wise and threw out the old platform)?

First off there was the well known problem of overheating on the first batch of Hipro/ Chicony Power Technology made units. Almost every capacitor on the secondary side is Taiwanese Teapo´s and Chinese CapXon´s

That ripple would break my overclock.

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1097129/e/e1/e15d59e2_RM.jpeg

But sure, trust the guy who gets paid by Corsair. I'm just a retired nuke ET who went on to get his EE, afterall. If you know what an ETN is, the. You very well know where you are on the knowledge foodchain.

Or just keep giving pats on the back to the guy who loved the original CX (actually he got paid to fake that he loved it).

My goodness, I know I solved at least 1000 threads on just CX/RM on this forum alone between 2011-2015. Those junkers would overheat so fast and get unstable as the dielectric eveporated making the 12v rail go from ------ to ~~~~~~

So.. I've contacted my lawyers about a potential libel and defamation suit. They said before spending a bunch of money to take you to court, we should try to hash things out here.

"JG praised (the original RM) in forums for years"

Where? When? How?

FYI: The "original" RM review was written by Oklahoma Wolf, not me.

In fact, I think the ONLY Corsair PSUs I ever reviewed myself were the original HX520 and 620W. Because after I got a job at BFG, I had to surrender the site to avoid the very conflict of interest you're accusing me of (and you would know that if you did ANY research before you went shooting your mouth off).

"(JG) loved the original CX"

Where? When? How?

FYI: I never wrote a review about the original CX. The new CX is completely different (LLC w/ DC to DC) and I will stand behind that product.

"(JG) actually got paid to fake that he loved it."

Proof?

"I solved at least 1000 threads on just CX/RM on this forum alone between 2011-2015"

Proof?

I didn't even join Corsair until 2012. So there's also that......

"Those junkers would overheat so fast and get unstable as the dielectric eveporated making the 12v rail go from ------ to ~~~~~~"

Proof? There is literally not a single case recorded in Corsair's data base of a capacitor failure in the RM. The original RM did overheat (first batch only) because of a poorly placed thermistor, but that was fixed as soon as PJ from HardOCP pointed out the problem. The PSU would shut down. Not "evaporate dilectric". And again, that product pre-dates me. I was working at Razer at the time making power bricks for laptops.

So.. come back down from whatever Bizarro fantasy land or Star Trek Darkly Mirror episode you're curled up in a fetal position in and face facts and stop spreading lies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.