Question PSU making extremely high pitched clicking(?) sound while under load. Corsair RMx 650

exwum

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020
Hi everyone, i've been using this computer with my RMx 650 for about 2 years now and i have recently put a RTX 2070S in my system, after that my PSU commonly started making this really high pitched clicking sound (it's very hard to describe, but my father cannot hear it and it happens in short, relatively quick bursts. it's quite loud and annoying.) while under any sort of load, and sometimes while idle.

From what i can tell, it might not be coil whine, as i have looked at various videos of coil whine and none of them are similar to the noise that my PSU is making.

I'm going to attempt to record a video after making this post to see if i can get it on camera.

If it's needed, this is my system:

Ryzen 7 1700x
MSI B350 PC MATE
4x8GB 2666Mhz (Corsair Vengence PRO RGB)
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 3X
Corsair RMx 650w (80+ Gold)

these are the main specs, i can list more on request.

exwum

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020
Alright, here's a video i recorded while on the CS:GO home screen. Be sure to turn your volume up as it is pretty quiet compared to the fans.

Also i just want to verify that this definately isn't the GPU, my GPU coil whines when under extreme loads, like when using userbenchmark, but not when this noise happens.

exwum

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020
I'm still pretty ceritan that it isn't the gpu, as the sound comes from the back of the psu, and not the back of the gpu (it is louder near the psu then the gpu)

TRENDING THREADS