Question PSU making loud noise

Dec 11, 2021
Hello,

I have an EVGA 600W Bronze PSU from 2016. It was working fine up until this morning when I booted up my computer and there was a loud rattling sound after 10 minutes. The sound is consistent and sounds like a fan is loose. I have tried turning off my computer, and the sound goes away for 10 minutes, only for it to come back. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

I have an EVGA 600W Bronze PSU from 2016. It was working fine up until this morning when I booted up my computer and there was a loud rattling sound after 10 minutes. The sound is consistent and sounds like a fan is loose. I have tried turning off my computer, and the sound goes away for 10 minutes, only for it to come back. Any help appreciated. Thanks

You tried to turn it off and failed?

You tried to turn it off and succeeded, but after restarting the sound came back after 10 minutes?

There is no substitute for your own eyes and ears. I'd take the side panel off and investigate. It may or may not have anything to do with your PSU.

A loud single noise or a loud continuing noise with a rotational component?

You have isolated it to be the PSU? If so, it's most likely a worn out ball bearing inside the fan. It could be a cable hitting the fan blades, but in a PSU it's not very likely.

I'm expecting the sound to start after a while because the fan turns on only at certain operating temperatures. You can test this, but I strongly advise against it as opening PSUs can be potentially deadly and getting a replacement fan can also be tricky.

What other hardware are you using? Best to expect the worst and get a replacement..

Groupregulated unit with bad voltag regulation and sleeve bearing fan. Sleeve bearing fans don't last long. Due to the low quality of the unit it's not worth to replace the fan. Better to replace the whole unit for a modern one. Especially since there's an expensive GPU in the system. With the high GPU prices you don't want a GPU dying because of a bad PSU.

Hello,

You have a cheap PSU that wasn't engineered to last very long. Replace it.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I wish someone competent would actually review the Core.
according to this Dutch site (https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/98...cus-gx-a-focus-px-voedingen-test-core-gm-a-gc) Chrome translation works pretty well.
(1) Core series has single layer PCB just like previous Focus platform. Perhaps they are leveraging PCB design from previous Focus. (current Focus platform uses dual layer and the author thinks the double layer "should significantly reduce the amount of ripple and noise." - is this true??)
(2) Core series lacks semi-passive mode
(3) non FDB fan
(4) Japanese 105 caps like Focus series

I would be surprised if this series performs significantly worse than Focus. But as you said, we haven't seen any real numbers.

Last edited:
according to this Dutch site (https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/98...cus-gx-a-focus-px-voedingen-test-core-gm-a-gc) Chrome translation works pretty well.
(1) Core series has single layer PCB just like previous Focus platform. Perhaps they are leveraging PCB design from previous Focus. (current Focus platform uses dual layer and the author thinks the double layer "should significantly reduce the amount of ripple and noise." - is this true??)
(2) Core series lacks semi-passive mode
(3) non FDB fan
(4) Japanese 105 caps like Focus series

I would be surprised if this series performs significantly worse than Focus. But as you said, we haven't seen any real numbers.

33mV @ 300W? 45mV @ 500W? I hope that's an error in testing. Too bad they don't have the same data from other Seasonic 500W units to compare.