Question PSU making loud sound when computer isn't turned on

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Hi,

I recently upgraded my graphics card to a gtx 1060 which I ensured was compatible with every aspect of my computer (especially the power supply), and now, when the computer is plugged in but not powered on, the psu makes a really loud humming/squeling sound.

The computer boots and runs fine, but this sound is really loud, and is incredibly frustrating - is this an issue with the psu?

Regards,

Jordan

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Very low end and poor quality Thermaltake unit.

If you know a large squealing sound is coming from the PSU, I'd undoubtedly be replacing it.
Even if it wasn't making the sound, personally I'd undoubtedly be changing the PSU anyway.

On top of that, the 12V rail only gives out 348W total across both 12V rails so it's not really a 500W PSU either.

If you can, borrow a good quality unit from someone or replace the PSU anyway and see if the issue persists.
Far too often we see poor quality PSUs cause instability and like the ones here, cause damage to other components.

Jordan_stewart

Prominent
Nov 15, 2019
Very low end and poor quality Thermaltake unit.

If you know a large squealing sound is coming from the PSU, I'd undoubtedly be replacing it.
Even if it wasn't making the sound, personally I'd undoubtedly be changing the PSU anyway.

On top of that, the 12V rail only gives out 348W total across both 12V rails so it's not really a 500W PSU either.

If you can, borrow a good quality unit from someone or replace the PSU anyway and see if the issue persists.
Far too often we see poor quality PSUs cause instability and like the ones here, cause damage to other components.
Appreciate the feedback - would the psu have damaged any parts of my pc when I used it witch the new gpu?

TRENDING THREADS