[SOLVED] PSU making rattling noise when gaming (not PSU fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2019
I just built my first pc. At idle it doesnt make any sounds, but as soon as I launch a game, I can hear a rattling noise from the case, and as soon as I close the game it stops. I tested all the fans and none of them made any rattling sounds, then I took the PSU out of the case and tried again. The sound clearly comes from the PSU. The PSU fan isn`t spinning so I don`t know what causes the sound. I also tried the PSU both ways, but it didnt make any difference. (PSU is Cooler master Masterwatt 550)

Solution

I'm having the same issue, I'm using a corsair 1200 Watt PSU however, must be like a cap thing, bad news is I had this happen on my last psu aswell .. about 4-5 months later I got purple smoke and had to replace the power supply.

Suggestion if you haven't already done it is turn off power to pc. unplug power supply .. wait a couple minutes.. then use compressed air can to spray it out while powered off (can short circuit if you blow it out with it on/charge in any capacitors in it) I've had personally zero luck and just calling it a death rattle myself.. if you find out anything or resolve please post a reply here o7

Blitz Hacker

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I'm having the same issue, I'm using a corsair 1200 Watt PSU however, must be like a cap thing, bad news is I had this happen on my last psu aswell .. about 4-5 months later I got purple smoke and had to replace the power supply.

Suggestion if you haven't already done it is turn off power to pc. unplug power supply .. wait a couple minutes.. then use compressed air can to spray it out while powered off (can short circuit if you blow it out with it on/charge in any capacitors in it) I've had personally zero luck and just calling it a death rattle myself.. if you find out anything or resolve please post a reply here o7

Solution
Jan 12, 2019

I alreedy got a replacement PSU. I'm still not 100% sure what the problem was, but from some research I think it was probably coil whine. If it was coil whine it would not have damaged the system, but luckily I got the PSU replaced under warranty and the new PSU works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.