PSU making terrible noises

matejdona

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Hello,
some 10 months ago, I've bought a Zalman ZM600-LX 600W PSU (yes, I know it's a garbage). The PSU was behaving strangely since I've installed it on my PC. At first, the fan was extremely loud under load, as if it was spinning at its max speed and the air coming from it felt extremely hot. A few months later the PSU started making loud grinding noises under load (here's how it sounds: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-JxZp91GLcqNWU2YUdtNVA3S28 ). Oddly enough, the fan is spinning at normal speeds and the air coming from the PSU is quite cold since then. What should I do? could it damage my PC?

It's a crap quality PSU, so yes it can damage your PC parts if it fails. You should have returned it with a RMA as soon as you learned it was not working as intended. Not sure about your country. if you still have warranty. Different countries, different rules.

matejdona

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
What do you think about Seasonic M12II-520W Evo? It's a modular version of the same PSU my brother has in his PC, which works just fine. The PSU I'm using now is still in warranty for more than a year (you get at least 2 years warranty for electronics here), so I can RMA it. However, a common problem here is that if the manufacturer says that you've caused the problem yourself, chances are about 99% that you won't do anything about it and no one is going to help you. And even if they fix it, I'm not sure if I want to put it back into my PC, I don't have the money for a new one in case it fails...

It's a fine PSU, but it doesn't have OCP (Over Current Protection)

Yeah, but they are stable as a rock so you do a lot worse very easy.