[SOLVED] PSU making weird and disruptive noise.

May 24, 2020
View: https://youtu.be/7FnET3KbVgA

The noise starts at about 10 Seconds.

A couple weeks ago, my PSU started making this weird noise. Does anyone have any ideia of what it might be?

PSU: Corsair CX750
Motherboard: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX8350
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz Kingston
Case fans: 1 x 120mm front // 1 x 120mm rear // 1 x 140mm top // 1 x 120mm top
CPU fan: Corsair H60 Hydro Series 120mm

Last edited:
Solution
Then that's a coil whine of some sort which is harmful. Or maybe you didn't plug mains cable all the way in and that's arcing between the leads, try to reseat it.
May 24, 2020
Spontaneously. The noise isn't constant, but it happens very frequently, even in situations when the system is under very little load, such as on the desktop, while typing, playing videos, or just after the system boots.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Hard to say, doesn't sound like a coil/transformer/capacitor whine to me. Maybe it's a fan bearing noise ? Can you try to stop it to check ? Shutdown your PC so the PSU fan wouldn't spin, stick smth non-conductive in the fan grille to prevent it from spinning and start the PC again.

Reactions: Takamine
May 24, 2020
I see. Thank you for the help. By the way, if it is indeed coil whine, would you know of any way to solve it? Or would it be necessary to replace the power supply?

May 24, 2020
If you don't mind me asking, my PSU makes the same noise. It's been happening for at least a year now (woops) and mine is constant.

I've also been experiencing random restarts. I was wondering if you had experienced this too.

I have a Corsair RM650 if you were curious

Reactions: Takamine
If you don't mind me asking, my PSU makes the same noise. It's been happening for at least a year now (woops) and mine is constant.

I've also been experiencing random restarts. I was wondering if you had experienced this too.

I have a Corsair RM650 if you were curious
I haven't had to deal with any restarts yet, but my PSU started making this noise just a couple weeks ago. Maybe such problems could arise in the near future. Hopefully not, though.

Coil whine does not mean the PSU is failing.

If it's something that started to happen after a period of some time, the most likely culprit is the varnish on the inductors is cracking, allowing for the windings to produce an audible noise. Perhaps even the RTV has hardened and cracked allowing the noise to escape from the inductor.

Reference:

https://forum.digikey.com/t/reduce-audible-noise-from-inductor/564

May 24, 2020
Coil whine does not mean the PSU is failing.

If it's something that started to happen after a period of some time, the most likely culprit is the varnish on the inductors is cracking, allowing for the windings to produce an audible noise. Perhaps even the RTV has hardened and cracked allowing the noise to escape from the inductor.

Reference:

https://forum.digikey.com/t/reduce-audible-noise-from-inductor/564
It is good to know that this should not be harmful to the system. Thank you for the clarification.

Although, I don't know if I should try the processes described in the link that you sent, because I heard that messing with the power supply without proper knowledge can be quite dangerous. I will probably replace the PSU or try to request the services of a technician or someone more qualified.

Last edited: