PSU making weird noise (Coil-whine)

erkanektiren

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
Like the title says my PSU is making a weird noise that I haven't heard before on my other builds. Some people told me it could be what is refered to as a coil-whine? However, I listened to some PSU's with coil-whine and I must say it did not really sound like a coil-whine, unless coil-whines have different sounds. I actually recorded the sound it makes, with some results, however I'm not sure if I break the rules of this forum by posting a link to the recording.

Anyone have any clues on what it might be and if it's dangerous? (Also, does someone know if I can post a download link to my recording without getting in trouble?)

erkanektiren

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
Bump, I really start to get worried now as the sound is intensifying and I can't find any answers online that match the sound of my PSU. The sound is almost "squealing", a very high pitched buzzing sound. Anyone who knows anything?

gogi

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Its usually a "deal with it" sort of thing. Unless your warranty covers it, theres nothing you can do about it except for ignoring it. My only advice would be maybe getting a case with dampening foam, to silence high pitched noises