[SOLVED] PSU making weird noise when under load (Custom PC build)

GogiAS

Prominent
Jun 15, 2020
So I have built my own PC. It is half used parts half new.
Here are the specs:
Intel Core i3 4170 @ 3.70GHz
RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard
ASRock H81M-VG4 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
MSI R9 270X
Storage
1TB Toshiba HDD 7.2K
120 GB Kingston SSD- new
PSU: Antec VP500P Plus 80+ Bronze (500W)- new
Zalman S4 Mid Tower- new

Today I added R9 270X. It is used GPU but I didnt had any problems with it. Tested it with Furmark and system is stable. Only problem is some weird noise when under load coming from my PSU. PSU is almost new and I didnt had problem with it until now. This new GPU has 160W TDP, previous one had 75W and didnt needed external 6 pin connectors. PC doesnt shuts down, but noise is really loud and I dont want my PSU breaking this cheap build I made for CSGO. I checked temps, all good.

I recorded the sound so you can tell the cause of this: WORST SOUND EVER!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ffrx4bymn0o65yd/Psu.m4a/file -here is the link for those scared of getting virus
Thank you all!

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

So, that's typically called coil whine! It happens with GPU/PSU most often and sometimes it takes a combination of both.

You could try stop the fans on the GPU whilst in operation and see if the whine stops. Then you know it's the PSU. The Antec VP500 isn't a great PSU, and it's not made form quality parts. It could very well be the PSU. If so RMA it, and get a replacement.
Hey there,

So, that's typically called coil whine! It happens with GPU/PSU most often and sometimes it takes a combination of both.

You could try stop the fans on the GPU whilst in operation and see if the whine stops. Then you know it's the PSU. The Antec VP500 isn't a great PSU, and it's not made form quality parts. It could very well be the PSU. If so RMA it, and get a replacement.

Solution

GogiAS

Prominent
Jun 15, 2020
Ok, so now I unplugged all external fans, and even my HDD. Tried stress testing it, no sound until I stopped the test after 5 mins and after that it comes. I tried stoping GPU fans earlier and it didnt stop the sound. It even happens if I only stress test the CPU. The sound is really loud and I can surrely tell its coming from the bottom of my case- PSU.

D

Deleted member 2720853

1x 120mm rear attached to motherboard and 1X 120mm front always at max speed (psu molex connection). Those are stock fans I got with the case.
Assuming you do not have the Zalman S4 Plus and just the regular version of it with a closed front... in a case like that I would move the front fan as a top exhaust right next to the rear fan. Try doing that and see if it helps.