[SOLVED] PSU making weird sounds when under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2020
Hi everyone I'm having some potential issues regarding my PSU. It seems to be making some sort of grinding/clicking noise when under load. For example when I'm playing EVE Online it makes this weird sound after a short period. The sound seems to immediately disappear when I alt tab out of the game. I tried checking my other components since I at first thought the sound was coming from my GPU but after close inspection the sound is coming from my PSU. Does anyone know what could be causing this sound? The name and model of the PSU are: Corsair TX 650M. Other than the sound I am not experiencing any performance related issues.
Video link to the sound recording:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWnuZg9qVZw

Solution
It doesn't sound like typical coil whine to me. Maybe someone else here has a different opinion. It could be something as simple as the fan. The TX650M has a clear plastic deflector, to direct airflow, covering a portion of the fan held securely at one end by 2 fan mount screws and some silicone type adhesive holding the other 2 ends to the fan frame, which I'd assume is to keep it from 'flapping'. Another possibility is the PSU vibrating the bottom of the case. If the noise is not coming from the fan, fan bearing, deflector or the PSU vibrating on the case then it must be from an electrical component inside. Some research reveals this to be a rather common issue with many complaints found, with a variety of models, on a simple google...
How old is this PSU? Does it have tons of hours on it...eg.. heavy use?
Can you list the rest of your system specs? If the PSU is under warranty it's simple, you return it. If not, you replace it. These things are generally not worth the time and money to repair. It's not a good idea to open the PSU unless you're experienced at it. The capacitors inside can hold voltage for some time even after unplugging the unit.

Jan 23, 2020
Hi thank you for the reply! The PSU is not very old maybe about 6 months at most.
The system specs are as followed:

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 730
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Asrock AB350 Pro4
PSU: Corsair TX650M 650 watt
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3000

It doesn't sound like typical coil whine to me. Maybe someone else here has a different opinion. It could be something as simple as the fan. The TX650M has a clear plastic deflector, to direct airflow, covering a portion of the fan held securely at one end by 2 fan mount screws and some silicone type adhesive holding the other 2 ends to the fan frame, which I'd assume is to keep it from 'flapping'. Another possibility is the PSU vibrating the bottom of the case. If the noise is not coming from the fan, fan bearing, deflector or the PSU vibrating on the case then it must be from an electrical component inside. Some research reveals this to be a rather common issue with many complaints found, with a variety of models, on a simple google search. Unfortunately your PSU does not have a 0 rpm mode which would make it easier to eliminate the fan as a suspect. Since it's under warranty you could return it although an RMA is rather bothersome.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.