[SOLVED] psu misunderstandings and my stupidity

Oct 21, 2019
so i am upgrading my computer gpu to a 1060 from a 750 ti, to do that i will need a new case and a psu with higher wattage. I am looking at a 500w evga psu and im wondering if it is enough?
my specs are:

2x 2gb ddr3 ram
2x 4gb ddr3 ram
intel dh67bl mb
intel core i5 2500
320 gb hdd
256 gb ssd
gtx 750 ti
dvd/rw optical drive
350 watt seasonic psu

sorry if this is a dumb question but im just trying to be safe.

Solution
PSU should be the most important part in your build. It powers everything and with a low quality one your other parts (GPU/CPU) will not run like they should and worse it can break other parts.

You should get something decent from SeaSonic or a higher spec EVGA one. Mentioned above is Corsair CX which isn't the greatest but will do. Its borderline if I would allow it in my personal builds. But on a budget it fits into the fair category.

I will stand by this one as worth the extra 15 bucks (after mail in rebate) over the above Corsair CX. Although if you must the Corsair will work.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZvKNxY
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply...
Oct 21, 2019
I am really only limited to amazon because i bought a 100 dollar amazon gift card. If you are able, point me to a good 500 or 550 watt psu. I don't really want to spend more than 60$. The reason i don't want to spend more than 60$ is because i want to spend money on a case. The graphics card i can get through more work.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
No, that's a poor quality power supply.

This is as cheap you'll get.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $64.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-22 00:39 EDT-0400

Anything less expensive than this is a lower quality power supply that I would not recommend purchasing. Power supply prices are up a bit due the economic uncertainty with China. ITF's links above preferable power supplies -- $75 for a G3 550 is a very good price -- but if you really need to be as close to $60 as you can, this is what you're looking it.

PSU should be the most important part in your build. It powers everything and with a low quality one your other parts (GPU/CPU) will not run like they should and worse it can break other parts.

You should get something decent from SeaSonic or a higher spec EVGA one. Mentioned above is Corsair CX which isn't the greatest but will do. Its borderline if I would allow it in my personal builds. But on a budget it fits into the fair category.

I will stand by this one as worth the extra 15 bucks (after mail in rebate) over the above Corsair CX. Although if you must the Corsair will work.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZvKNxY
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $74.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-22 01:18 EDT-0400

Or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kz7CmG/evga-power-supply-210gq0650
Although I have not seen its tests it looks decent.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS