PSU Modular incompatabilities across common manufaturers?

sirslex

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Do any of the larger PSU manufacturers use the same pin configurations on the PSU side of their modular cables? And if not.... why?

I have several different computers I have built and are still in use within my household. And over time things get lost. When it comes time to upgrade graphics for instance, sometimes different cables are required. I would love to not have to buy a new power supply just because the remainder of the modular cables are missing. I can usually find a cable or two from a different set of modular cables that *should* work but the risk of destroying parts because there is no standard is simply absurd.

Seriously, has no one else found themselves in this frustrating situation?

Same here, I keep the boxes with all the cables inside the boxes.

D

Deleted member 217926

There is a standard on the end you plug into your components. It's called ATX. There's no reason for different manufacturers to standardize the other ends. How would Seasonic gain from making their cables fit SuperFlower power supplies? They wouldn't. It's a money loser from several perspectives. Keep the cables somewhere. Problem no longer exists.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Almost all modular psus are proprietary in design. Simple reason is they don't want ppl to complain when they use oversized cables to push oversized gpus on an undersized psu. This creates 2 problems. First is the amount of warranty returns they'll get when ppl try using 750w cables on a 550w psu because some idiot calculator said it would work. Second, if you move up in wattage demands, they want a fair shot at you buying one of their psus, not using oversized cables on your current psu.

Psu cables are there for a reason, if it doesn't have the connector needed, it's not intended for that use. So the vendor supplies you with the exact amount and capacity cables for the psu intended purpose. You want more cables or connectors beyond that, you need a bigger psu.

TRENDING THREADS