Question PSU/Motherboard fault check

razorback91

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
Need some suggestions. I built up a new pc but there is no power in the motherboard. My guess was that its probably the faulty motherboard as it has happened once before. But just to be sure I tested my PSU.

I have cooler master v650 gold powering the system. I did a paper clip test and invidually tested each pins with multimeter to check the voltage output. All the pins are fine except for the -12V pin which shows an output of -11.22V.

Is this the reason for a dead system or is it within the reasonable range and the real culprit here is a faulty motherboard?

System spec:

CPU - AMD 5600x
Motherboard - Msi B550M Bazooka
RAM - XPG Spectrix D60G 8gbx2
SSD - Samsung 970 evo 1 tb
PSU - Cooler Master V650 gold
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC
CPU Cooler - Silverstone PF240
Case - Lian li Lancool 215

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please include them in your followup post.

On another note, paperclip tests don't really tell you if the PSU is faulty or failing. If you noticed, you're asked to induce a load on the PSU when doing the paperclip test, that load can be a fan or even a bad HDD, in either case, it doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can output effectively.

How old is the PSU mentioned?

razorback91

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please include them in your followup post.

On another note, paperclip tests don't really tell you if the PSU is faulty or failing. If you noticed, you're asked to induce a load on the PSU when doing the paperclip test, that load can be a fan or even a bad HDD, in either case, it doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can output effectively.

How old is the PSU mentioned?
Its completely brand new system. I got all the parts yesterday.

I did connect case fans for psu test and they lit up just fine. And I also tested the ATX power connector for voltage output. All the pins output proper voltage except for -12V which gives out a -11.22V.

I also tried to remove all peripherals and only connect CPU and RAM to the motherboard and then run it. Still no power.

System spec:

CPU - AMD 5600x
Motherboard - Msi B550M Bazooka
RAM - XPG Spectrix D60G 8gbx2
SSD - Samsung 970 evo 1 tb
PSU - Cooler Master V650 gold
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC
CPU Cooler - Silverstone PF240
Case - Lian li Lancool 215

TRENDING THREADS