Question Psu Mounted Down - Will I have Issues?

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Hello awesome people,

I recently built a new PC using a Corsair CX750, it's the great wall version according to the serial number,so it must have silver rated erficiency,however my case intake holes are smaller than my psu,leaving it a bit covered,but on the other hand the psu is a little lifted up,
Here is a picture without the dust filter on:

IMG-20210603-142742.jpg

Thank you!

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Id say its probably fine.

PSU has OTP to prevent damage if it does get hot.
Thank you for the reply,

I will do some stress tests on the computer, and with a infrared thermometer I will monitor the psu temps and see, but probably should be fine, I ran TimeSpy and Firestrike several times and the PSU wasn't blowing out hot air and it was a little warm but nothing too critical.

Regards

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Id say its probably fine.

PSU has OTP to prevent damage if it does get hot.
I don't think I should worry about it, after various SOTTR benchmarks, playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Furmark cpu and gpu burner at the same time, timespy and firestrike, the hottest point of the PSU was 38-39 ºc, and the coldest 25 - 26 ºc.the room ambient temperature is around 22-23 ºc.

However I don't know how accurate that thermometer is, is one of those to measure the body temp, but it also has the surface mode, however my model doesn't have the laser pointer,

Thank you!

Hello awesome people,

I recently built a new PC using a Corsair CX750, it's the great wall version according to the serial number,so it must have silver rated erficiency,however my case intake holes are smaller than my psu,leaving it a bit covered,but on the other hand the psu is a little lifted up,
Here is a picture without the dust filter on:

IMG-20210603-142742.jpg

Thank you!

What case are you using? Can't you mount the PSU fan up?

Saberus

Distinguished
I am using a Nox Hummer MC,

I send you the link:

I can mount it with the fan up, but will it improve?

Thank you again!
Fan up it'll draw air from inside the case, with the temps you're seeing it shouldn't be an issue, but that does depend on how warm the inside of the case gets. Either way it will probably run warmer.

From what it sounds like, you're getting enough air as is to keep it cool, just make sure to keep the intake clean, and it should run for as long as you have the machine.

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Fan up it'll draw air from inside the case, with the temps you're seeing it shouldn't be an issue, but that does depend on how warm the inside of the case gets. Either way it will probably run warmer.

From what it sounds like, you're getting enough air as is to keep it cool, just make sure to keep the intake clean, and it should run for as long as you have the machine.
Yep, I allways keep an air duster can around, and I clean my machine often like once a month,

I also keep my case on top of my desk and not on the floor, although I could sell this case and get a different one,

But I don't think that is necessary,

I bought this case for my home pc, I have the same case on my office pc wich has a Corsair VS550, and this case is the perfect fit, being the VS more compact, like the CV, however when buying the parts I forgot that the CX is longer, the psu(the VS) is preety clean, after 1 year and some months, doing the dust filter a fine job, and I like the fact that this case has a good airflow and has that side space for cable management.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, I allways keep an air duster can around, and I clean my machine often like once a month,

I also keep my case on top of my desk and not on the floor, although I could sell this case and get a different one,

But I don't think that is necessary,

I bought this case for my home pc, I have the same case on my office pc wich has a Corsair VS550, and this case is the perfect fit, being the VS more compact, like the CV, however when buying the parts I forgot that the CX is longer, the psu(the VS) is preety clean, after 1 year and some months, doing the dust filter a fine job, and I like the fact that this case has a good airflow and has that side space for cable management.
What parts are you using in the PC as of now I really see nothing that bad the way it's mounted unless your going to be pushing it hard.

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
What parts are you using in the PC as of now I really see nothing that bad the way it's mounted unless your going to be pushing it hard.
Yep I think so too,

However my machine specs are:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.0ghz,soon I Will upgrade to something like a 5600X or even a ryzen 7
Mobo: Asus Rog Strix B450 gaming-f ii
GPU: Sapphire Pulse 6700XT
RAM: 2X8GB 3600mhz @3133mhz - that's the highest frequency that I can get untill it gets unstable, and I plan to get another 16gb kit when I upgrade the cpu,

Thanks

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
I assumed so because it isolates the power supply from the rest of the system, but looked to make sure. The companies diagrams show downward mounting as the recommended way. If it makes you sleep better my current PSU has been mounted that way for the last 9 years.

Diagram is 2/3 of the way down the page.
https://www.nox-xtreme.com/en/chassis/hummer-mc-zero-edition
Yep I guess it will be fine,

Thank you for your feedback!

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
There's A LOT better ventilation in that PSU shroud. TOTALLY run the PSU with the fan pointing up. It's a no brainer.
Dear Jon Gerow,

Thank you,

I think that the ideal solution would be to purchase a new case, since with the fan turned up the dust inside the psu would increase in a significant way,

Would this one be sapcious enough to provide a good airflow for the psu?

However,is 39 ºc under full load, the hottest spot on the psu bad?

Thank you!

Dear Jon Gerow,

Thank you,

I think that the ideal solution would be to purchase a new case, since with the fan turned up the dust inside the psu would increase in a significant way,

The inside of your case shouldn't be so dusty that using the PSU fan up is going to cause it to have more dust. If that were the case, ALL of your parts would be covered with dust. Graphics card, CPU cooler, etc.

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
The inside of your case shouldn't be so dusty that using the PSU fan up is going to cause it to have more dust. If that were the case, ALL of your parts would be covered with dust. Graphics card, CPU cooler, etc.
Sure, and specially if I clean it often, however, does a 39°c as the hottest point of the PSU after some benchmarks and torture tests is such a bad result?

Thank you.

luislad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
jonnyguru

Hello Jon,

Now it seems to be not so hot inside the case thank you!

Now I have another question,

I have my 6700XT wich is a 230w max tdp card connected with the "main" cable in the 8 pin connector,and the 6 pin with the pigback cable, should I disconnect the pigback and use the spare pcie to have an independent connection or Will I be fine like how it is?

I haven't experienced any stutters or crashes or any sort of Issues!

Thank you again!

Hello Jon,

Now it seems to be not so hot inside the case thank you!

Now I have another question,

I have my 6700XT wich is a 230w max tdp card connected with the "main" cable in the 8 pin connector,and the 6 pin with the pigback cable, should I disconnect the pigback and use the spare pcie to have an independent connection or Will I be fine like how it is?

I haven't experienced any stutters or crashes or any sort of Issues!

Thank you again!

Should be fine as it is. Unlike a lot of PSUs, the wire gauge to the first connector is actually 16g.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Sure, and specially if I clean it often, however, does a 39°c as the hottest point of the PSU after some benchmarks and torture tests is such a bad result?

Thank you.

don't worry 39C is perfectly fine, there are components in every PSU that run much hotter that at all times, even yours. For example right as the juice enters the box from the powercord you have NTC resistor that limits how much current initially flows into those fat large capacitors you can see right under that PSU fan. Within few moments that resistors becomes scalding level hot, it's resistance will fall with raising temperature allowing more juice flowing thru it. It will remain scalding hot till you power your computer down. But that's fine, it's been designed to work like that.