[SOLVED] PSU need HIGH VOLTAGE

Aug 14, 2021
My PSU (NZXT C750) needs 260v for startup. Can someone please tell me why it needs a lot of power for startup. Before i can turn it on just on 230v or below.

Solution
My PSU (NZXT C750) needs 260v for startup. Can someone please tell me why it needs a lot of power for startup.
Think you are confusing what voltage means vs. power. The 2 are different.
If you really insist that it needs 260 Voltage for startup, then you must be asking why does it need a lot of voltage to startup? (and not power)
But then the latter question is impractical. Most electrical devices such as PSU have a voltage tolerance from 100-240V. I've never come across a PSU that is designed to operate at 260V on a constant load as most PSUs are rated only around 100-240V. At 260V, your PSU would shutdown to protect itself from over voltage.

Your model of PSU even says its operating Input voltage is...
My PSU (NZXT C750) needs 260v for startup. Can someone please tell me why it needs a lot of power for startup.
If you really insist that it needs 260 Voltage for startup, then you must be asking why does it need a lot of voltage to startup? (and not power)
But then the latter question is impractical. Most electrical devices such as PSU have a voltage tolerance from 100-240V. I've never come across a PSU that is designed to operate at 260V on a constant load as most PSUs are rated only around 100-240V. At 260V, your PSU would shutdown to protect itself from over voltage.

Your model of PSU even says its operating Input voltage is 100-240V
https://nzxt.com/product/c750

Voltage is the push of electricity. A higher voltage means a higher push to deliver the electricity to the device (such as your computer).
Power (watts) - is how much electricity you need to power on.
Current (Amps) - is how much flow of electrons in a circuit. The higher it is, the more flow of electrons there are.

Power (watts) = Voltage (Volts) x Current (Amps)

Solution
Aug 14, 2021

Your model of PSU even says its operating Input voltage is 100-240V
https://nzxt.com/product/c750

Voltage is the push of electricity. A higher voltage means a higher push to deliver the electricity to the device (such as your computer).
Power (watts) - is how much electricity you need to power on.
Current (Amps) - is how much flow of electrons in a circuit. The higher it is, the more flow of electrons there are.

Power (watts) = Voltage (Volts) x Current (Amps)
Yes.. I get your point.. BUT why it needs 260v for startup.. though it is rated to operate at 100-240V.?

By using a stabilizer to ramp up the voltage to 260V to power your PSU which is only designed to run at 100-240V, you're punishing your PSU in the long run. Surprised how your PSU still works.

Either that or you got a very "sketchy" PSU unit that was custom made to run at 260V.

I don't know of a country that has a power grid that supplies 260V off from the wall socket/mains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

Except maybe if you're in Columbia. That's the only country in the list that supports running 260V off the mains, but then again that's a non-residential voltage, as columbia typically uses 120V for residential voltage.

By using a stabilizer to ramp up the voltage to 260V to power your PSU which is only designed to run at 100-240V, you're punishing your PSU in the long run. Surprised how your PSU still works.

Either that or you got a very "sketchy" PSU unit that was custom made to run at 260V.

I don't know of a country that has a power grid that supplies 260V off from the wall socket/mains.

Except maybe if you're in Columbia. That's the only country in the list that supports running 260V off the mains, but then again that's a non-residential voltage, as columbia typically uses 120V for residential voltage.

Until the OP actually tests their mains voltage and "stabilizer's" voltage with a DMM, I'm not inclined to believe anything that was posted. ;-)

Aug 14, 2021

Thats what amazed me.. it was supposed to show some fireworks...lol....but.. Ramping up the voltage to 260 just started up the PSU... and decreasing the voltage to 230 stopped the PSU's

Aug 14, 2021
You know this because you tested the wall socket and the stabilizer with a multimeter?

And, as we have kept asking you for, what happens when the PSU is plugged directly into the wall?

Help us.... help you...
yes.. tested with a multimeter... Direct on the Wall Socket.. Nothing happens.. Tried this even on Friends Home.. Same thing..

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
yes.. tested with a multimeter... Direct on the Wall Socket.. Nothing happens.. Tried this even on Friends Home.. Same thing..
You still didn't provide answers for all our questions. I'll try again.
  1. What voltage do you get at the wall outlet with a multimeter ?
  2. What voltage do you get at the stabilizer output with a multimeter, when you set output to 260V ?
  3. Does the PSU work when plugged directly into the wall outlet ?
  4. Where do you live ? Or rather, what the voltage in the mains is supposed to be ?

Defective.... VERY defective.... PSU.
You still didn't provide answers for all our questions. I'll try again.
  1. What voltage do you get at the wall outlet with a multimeter ?
  2. What voltage do you get at the stabilizer output with a multimeter, when you set output to 260V ?
  3. Does the PSU work when plugged directly into the wall outlet ?
  4. Where do you live ? Or rather, what the voltage in the mains is supposed to be ?
He said:

1. 220
  2. 260
  3. No