[SOLVED] PSU needed for Unraid server / gaming rig (24/7 use)

epp82

Commendable
Feb 21, 2021
Hey,

I'm currently planning my new Unraid rig. Besides running my server stuff (couple of docker containers and NAS) it's gonna replace my current gaming PC which I'll run in a VM. Additionally I want to be able to boot up a secondary VM for light gaming.
Here the specs: It's gonna be a 3900x with 64 GB of RAM, having 4 HDDs, 2 SSDs and 2 M.2s connected aswell as 2 graphics cards (1060 and something cheap and small or my old 770, I'll see when I get there).

The machine will be running 24/7, the main gaming VM around 4/7 and the secondary VM maybe around twice a week for some hours. I expect it not to consume much power most of the time (basicly all the time I'm not gaming) and therefor need a PSU that fits that profile. I used a PSU calc and came out at 750 W but I'm unsure regarding other important specs for my specific needs. Ah yeah and noise is a factor although I don't think the PSU will be the main culprit.

Hope you can recommend something or even better let me know what to look for.

Best regards,
epp

Solution
The prime usage/load value is right around 50-70% loads, that's where you'll get the highest efficiency, best thermal ratio etc. So as long as when you are actually doing something you are pretty close to that range, you are golden. So that's roughly 380-560w usage. Which is right around where 2 gpus on that cpu and running half the drives is going to put you.

Going all out, you are covered, that's important. Covered Well, is more so.

My psu is SFX, so pretty slim pickings there, but when looking at the choice of Gold or $20 more for the Platinum version, (my pc runs 24/7 too) it was really a no brainer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like Evga, but they peaked at the G2/P2 and have gone downhill from there.

Running higher wattage loads, 24/7 use, the last thing your electric bill wants is a Bronze rated psu. Granted they are cheaper initially, but after a few months you've paid the difference and maybe then some.

Personally I'd be looking at Platinum rated. Higher efficiency = less power from the wall, almost always better quality, better protections, better everything than almost every Bronze there is. And that includes the little things like fanless operation at low loads, quieter fans at higher loads due to less wasted heat outputs etc.

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.98 @ Newegg)

Might even be lower, direct from Corsair as they have New Customer Signup coupons.

epp82

Commendable
Feb 21, 2021
Cost isn't a main factor, so going for the platinum one would have been my choice anyway. My main reason for asking is the wide range of loads it'll have to cope with. But I guess there's not much besindes buying high quality.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The prime usage/load value is right around 50-70% loads, that's where you'll get the highest efficiency, best thermal ratio etc. So as long as when you are actually doing something you are pretty close to that range, you are golden. So that's roughly 380-560w usage. Which is right around where 2 gpus on that cpu and running half the drives is going to put you.

Going all out, you are covered, that's important. Covered Well, is more so.

My psu is SFX, so pretty slim pickings there, but when looking at the choice of Gold or $20 more for the Platinum version, (my pc runs 24/7 too) it was really a no brainer.

Solution

epp82

Commendable
Feb 21, 2021
Any thoughts on Fractal Design Ion+ 760P? Besides being a bit smaller it checks all the boxes of the Corsair while being rated much quieter.

Gaming in a vm? I don’t think that’s going to go very well

Have a look at unraid, hardware passthrough of graphics card, nvme drive and possibly nic makes that pretty efficient. Not comparable to vmware/vbox VMs...

D

Deleted member 14196

oh, very nice. I learned something today. So that's a whole OS, isn't it? interesting.

indeed that monster of a system should see you right.