Question PSU noise driving me into an early grave

blazeworks

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
i want to make it as clear as possible: this is not about a high pitch coil whine.

i have a new build with a Corsair RMx 750, even under full load its more than enough power for my system. HOWEVER, while underload and even at idle i hear a very specific noise.

this video is about coil whine, however, it also has the noise plaguing me more clearly than i can get recorded from my rig.

again to clarify, this is about the oo oo oo oo noise in the backround of the coil whine, not the high pitch buzzing. it gets a bit more difficult to hear after he moves the camera away from the back of the PSU but very clear at 54 to 60 seconds.

this noise seems to be louder than my GPU fans at 1700 rpm and infinitely louder than my case/cpu cooling fans. my case is a p600s with all the sound dampening on and yet this clown noise is managing to permeate it even with headphones on. my old build was in a much more open case with the same fan set up and a 750 RMi and i don't remember ever hearing this.

i have no idea if this is normal, if its indicative of a flaw with the PSU, if my cases noise dampening actually sucks or what. literally any input is appreciated because i'm very close to rage disassembling the build, returning it and trying again or putting my pc in a separate room and drilling a hole in the wall for cables to get to the other side.

i don't know if it matters since it happens at idle, but my system specs:

b550 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 5600x
Crucial Ballistix 3600 16gb
EVGA ftw 3070
Corsair RMx 750

nothing is oc'd.

That sound might go away or diminish or might stay the same or get worse.
I had a similar noise coming from a new PSU and it was the fan.

If it isn't the fan, try plugging the PSU power cord to another outlet or power strip.

That will drive me nuts...I would return the PSU.

blazeworks

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
ok, it took me a minute to be able to troubleshoot anything. i cannot get a recording of it to save my life, even in VLC at 200% its still too quiet. i moved the PSU out of the case and i'm a bit more stumped honestly.

the noise is coming from the PSU, but also from the board? it seemed a bit louder nearing the CPU. its not a slow, steady electrical hum or anything, its the noise i pointed out in my original post. i still have 10 days to return the PSU and get a new one, or refund and use my 'old' one, but if its not solely the PSU i'm not sure what to do besides re-arrange my room so my computer is as far away as possible from me.