Question PSU noisy on new mobo, not on old?

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
My Corsair CX550M is really noisy on my new motherboard and totally silent on my old motherboard. The new motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 UD. The old was a MSI B150M Bazooka. The sound is like a buzzing sound with some crackling in between.

My question is now if the PSU is faulty or if it's caused by my new motherboard. If it's caused by the motherboard is it something I can complain about?

Edit: I have tried disabling power saving settings in bios and enabling V sync in Nvidia settings but it didn't do anything

Last edited:
What are the components in the new system?
Your PSU might be working harder, since the new system requires more wattage and that could be causing coil whine (electromagnetic vibration). A PSU and GPU might
react (whine) with some components but it might not with others.
If you use the integrated GPU do you still get the noise?

Last edited:

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
No doubt it has to work harder with the new processor. I went from a i5 6400 to a i5 9600K (and the new motherboard). Besides that every other component is from the previous built. I'll list them below. I still get the noises when using the integrated GPU. I also tried to remove hardware one by one to see if that helped but it's the same constant sound.

Specs:
Gigabyte Z390 UD
Intel i5 9600K (not overclocked)
GTX 1060 DUAL OC 3G
Corsair CX550M 550W
Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8 GB @ 2133MHz
SoundBlasterX AE-5
Cryorig H7

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You went from a 65w cpu to a 95w cpu. It's going to draw more power under loads, but that's chump change. Your whole system maxed out is only pulling @ 300w, plenty of room in that psu.

If it's making physical noises, I'd say you need to go through the entire build and check for anything that could be causing a short, could be anything from long solder on back of the mobo, a pinched wire etc. Sounds like something is shorted, but not enough to trip the protections, but enough to make the psu complain.

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
The PSU is nearly 2.5 years old. I have had the entire rig pulled apart four times already but I haven't checked if a long solder is making contact with the cabinet. I'll also try to go through every cable to check if something is bent

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check the wiring on the backside of the mobo. It's not that uncommon for either a wire to get stuck, or one that's routed around the hdd frames to get pinched or squished. Maybe even boot up occasionally and see if all that wiggling has removed the noise. If it's even the psu. Easier to get proof positive that way.

Last edited:

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Now I've had the PSU run alone outside of the case. Same problem with the noise and the PSU fan run smoothly. I unplugged everything, took out the motherboard and went through it to see if any solder was too long or if anything else seemed wrong. Everything is OK as far as I can tell. I did cable management all over and all cables look good. Nothing is bent and nothing looks broken. The problem still remain

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's just wierd. You say on the old mobo and cpu, it ran perfectly quiet, and swapping out the mobo/cpu now it's loud and buzzing. But there's nothing wrong with the mobo as the pc boots and runs fine.

That's like saying your car now runs bad since you changed the cassette deck radio for a CD player.

Only other thing I can think of is there's dirt that got knocked loose from the psu fan, when you swapped the mobo, so it's now off balance.

Have you run the old MB on the PSU since the noise became evident?

I thought that I saw that you said that you did, but I now see that I only interpreted that from your statements of earlier. Trying the old MB on the PSU, again, would settle the question.

If it comes down to it's noisy on the new motherboard, and silent on the old MB--with the MB & PSU outside of the computer case--then you're down to it being either the new MB, or the PSU.

Under that sort of circumstance, I'd be tempted to RMA the MB, but only after getting a different PSU involved to do a final test before exchanging it. (Then again, you probably aren't swimming in PSUs over there, so you have to strike a balance on spending money.)

I still do think that replacing the PSU with a unit that has all other characteristics identical, except @ 650W, will put the issue to rest, though--because they are selling at the same price, anyway.

Corsair CX Series 650 Watt (CP-9020103-NA) - $59.99
Corsair CX Series 550 Watt (CP-9020102-NA) - $59.99

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Yea it went from silent to buzzing when changing the motherboard. I changed back and it was still silent. Didn't test it outside the case though but it sound like the motherboard to me. I'll try to get a hold of another PSU through friends and do a test

When you get that buzzing, vibration, whining, etc.. it is kind of hard to get rid of it.
It is hard because all the components could be just fine but the combination of two or more of those parts is causing the issue.
The only way to get rid of it, is by swapping one of the components.

I had that issue with Radeon GPU and it will get worse as the system load increased.
I had to exchange the GPU with a friend that had the same model. On his PC with similar components there was no noise.

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Gigabyte customer service fixed it for me! The solution was to disable every power saving option in BIOS.

Here's what to do:
Go to M.I.T > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Settings.
Scroll down to C1E, C3,C6/C7,C8,C10 and click and Auto and then Disable.

PC will make a bit more noise now power saving options are off but there's no coil whine and and just a faint whine when moving the mouse.

I'm so happy :whistle:

Gigabyte customer service fixed it for me! The solution was to disable every power saving option in BIOS.

Here's what to do:
Go to M.I.T > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Settings.
Scroll down to C1E, C3,C6/C7,C8,C10 and click and Auto and then Disable.

PC will make a bit more noise now power saving options are off but there's no coil whine and and just a faint whine when moving the mouse.

I'm so happy :whistle:

That's great!

I was given similar advise but only to disable some of the power settings and leave C3. It worked for a little while and slowly it came back. That is why I never mentioned.

Lets hope you have better luck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's entirely wierd. Those are what's known as the c-states, they are a low power mode setting for when the cpu enters idle then sleep states. They only function when the cpu has entered idle, otherwise it's at C-0 which is full power mode. That CXM should be having no issues at all with any of those being a dc-dc psu. Older, group regulated designs had issues with low power c-states beyond c-3 (deep sleep basically) on Haswell or newer Intel cpu's, but not Ivy-Bridge or prior which had higher voltage requirements even in sleep.

In no way should this also make your pc noisier since the only time c-states are active is during sleep modes after idle.

You have other issues, I suspect a bad motherboard or one that needs motherboard drivers/bios updated to fix power regulation levels.

Jun 7, 2020
Did you RMA the mother board?

I just bought the same motherboard and upgraded my PC.

I was using a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960, Corsair HX620W PSU.
I had to upgrade my Mobo, memory and get a new CPU as my CPU in my old motherboard died.

My new CPU was is the same as yours i5 9600KF 3.7Ghz (no integrated Gfx though)

To confirm it was not my Video Card I luckily had another GTX960 in another PC. As soon as put that card in the same sound occurred in the other Video Card.

Previously the cards had no static noise problems at all.
I changed the Power Settings as mentioned above and it solved my problem too.

I have noticed that my CPU runs now constantly at 4.3GHz whereas previously it would go up and down with the power saving settings in place. So I am assuming it has something to do with the constant changing of the CPU/mobo speed.

I seem to have an occasional static noise when working in an in Adobe Illustrator doing some intensive operations or moving a complex picture around with my mouse. But as soon as I stop that it goes quiet again.

I will have a play with different power settings and see what happens. I have noticed a new BIOS version that resolves some apparent behaviours issues with Power. So I may give this a go as well....(but i will do that another day, I just want to see how this goes first for long term use)

Thanks for posting this.

I have still asked Gigabyte customer support why this is occurring and what should I do..... I will report back in the next few days with what they say.

Last edited: